Conophytum Luckhoffii

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Roatavator
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Conophytum Luckhoffii

Post by Roatavator »

I’m pretty happy with most of my Conos, but one which always looks a little under par is Luckhoffii. I’ve three plants, they all seem to take much longer to get started every year, and all have patches which appear to have died off. I can’t work out whether they’re particularly prone to scorching or whether they need to be kept a little moist in the dormant season. The patches seem random so I’m wondering if I keep them too dry then. Any help gratefully received!
Thanks Peter
Attachments
AC89444D-87FA-4EC8-9015-8A68859720F0.jpeg
8FA9BB26-042A-4043-8E48-5689A6E4EC7C.jpeg
1CB22347-328B-4EBE-8021-488D8C540174.jpeg
Peter. Lapsed cactus enthusiast, now into Conophytums. Fewer plasters when repotting! MSG member.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Conophytum Luckhoffii

Post by Ali Baba »

You could restart it from cuttings. I had to do that with luckhoffii last year and it certainly reinvigorates it.
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

Yes, I'd restart with a few cuttings, but, for the future, I'd keep it lightly watered and in the shade during the summer rest. I do that now with all my small headed conos and it works well. I'm sure the random dying off is due to drought and scorch.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
Roatavator
BCSS Member

Post by Roatavator »

Thanks both. More water and shade next time it is then! I’ll divide the worst plant and start off a tray of cuttings as well.
Peter. Lapsed cactus enthusiast, now into Conophytums. Fewer plasters when repotting! MSG member.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I suspect too that the problem is caused by an excess of summer sun, so perhaps a bit more shade. I do not water any of my conos during the dormant period but do start them into growth fairly early these days, usually in the second half of July unless the night temperatures are very high as last year. I then hold off until it cools a bit. The Minuscula section, to which this species belongs, does tend to take a bit longer than others to get into growth.

Do not try to take cuttings now, it is a bit too late to get them established before the warmer weather. Wait until September.
Roatavator
BCSS Member

Post by Roatavator »

Thanks Terry
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

There are now many forms of C.luckhoffi in cultivation and some are neater growing than others. A paricularly untidy form with me is Baboon Point.....nicer ones are Skerpheuwal, Eagle's Pride and Matjiesrivier.

Eagle's Pride
Eagle's Pride
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Cor, I prefer the untidy form,lovely (tu) (tu)
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Roatavator
BCSS Member

Post by Roatavator »

That’s a beauty, Chris!