eNews Issues - Request for Data

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Werewolf
BCSS Zone Rep
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

eNews Issues - Request for Data

Post by Werewolf »

We are working on finding solutions to the spam-marking problems that are affecting the distribution of eNews. In order to inform this work, we need some data to analyse in order to determine if there are any trends across different mail clients and ISPs. Jim Mercer has kindly provided an example of the type of information we need in the 'February eNews' thread (top of page 4).

It would be helpful if some members who have suffered the spam issue could provide the full header of the incoming email, which in most cases will contain a spam score. Please go into the full header details and then cut & paste these into a text document or the body of an email and send it to the eNews email address, which is the publication's name followed by the 'at' symbol and the talktalk.net domain name (linked at the bottom of each edition). Alternatively, you can send me a PM. It would be useful to include your ISP and mail client.

Please do not simply forward the original email as the spam score data will be lost.

Look out for a special edition of enews to be issued shortly with some interesting news and your opportunity to help shape the future of the Society. We will be implementing a number of changes to the distribution format for this in the hope of resolving at least some of the problems. I will post an announcement on the Forum to let you know when it is published and would be grateful to receive feedback on any improvements or issues.

Many thanks,

Graham Evans
eNews Editor
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: eNews Issues - Request for Data

Post by el48tel »

Graham
The BCSS forum PM service won't let you attach a TXT file to a PM
If you send me a PM with your e-mail address I can attach and send that way
Terry
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

el48tel wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:30 pm Graham
The BCSS forum PM service won't let you attach a TXT file to a PM
If you send me a PM with your e-mail address I can attach and send that way
Terry
The email address to use is in Graham's posting above!

viz. ....and send it to the eNews email address, which is the publication's name followed by the 'at' symbol and the talktalk.net domain name

Cheers, Tony
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Tony R wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:40 pm
The email address to use is in Graham's posting above!

viz. ....and send it to the eNews email address, which is the publication's name followed by the 'at' symbol and the talktalk.net domain name

Cheers, Tony
No problem there, Tony, but why so shy about simply saying enews@talktalk.net????? But can you or Graham explain why the enewsletter is received from a different email address - sh*****ude@blueyonder.co.uk

Is this not (as I suggested in an earlier post) part - and maybe a significant one - of the problem?

el48tel was highlighting a problem with Graham's alternative pm solution.

As for myself, I can't find anything in the raw message I get for yahoo email re spam, but have forwarded message data by email as requested. It is not clear to me whether this would have been affected by marking as not spam.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

ragamala wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:48 pm But can you or Graham explain why the enewsletter is received from a different email address - sh*****ude@blueyonder.co.uk
I don't know the answer to that myself, Alan, for I am not involved in the process for eNews.
I note though that that person is listed as Newsletter Editor on the BCSS website Contacts page.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

ragamala wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:48 pm but why so shy about simply saying enews@talktalk.net????? But can you or Graham explain why the enewsletter is received from a different email address - sh*****ude@blueyonder.co.uk

Is this not (as I suggested in an earlier post) part - and maybe a significant one - of the problem?
The blueyonder address used as sender on the eNews is part of the problem as it fails the DMARC test - I have read a bit about this having never heard of it before and suspect the problem may be different domain names which might also cause the talktalk address to have the same problem. The header data from the email includes the results from this authentication as applied to the email on its route to you.
DMARC_author-to-recipient_flow.jpg
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Shiela Cude does indeed edit the journal newsletter section, and it uses her account because that's how mail chimp works, you need to have a verified domain to send the newsletter though and she added her account at some point, steps are being taken to change it.

Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Sheila
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Sheila »

Hi,

What Bill said is not quite accurate. I volunteered to lay out the enews because I had some knowledge of Mailchimp. The enews is prepared on line through the Mailchimp website and as I have prepared it I also send it. It is necessary to include a 'from' address, and previously Alan Bromley had used his own address, due to issues with the BCSS address used for the Mailchimp login. I substituted Alan's address with the one I use for my BCSS work.

I agree that the problems we have been experiencing are almost certainly due to the blueyonder address, and we are taking steps to amend this by creating a new BCSS address which will hopefully be more successful. Obviously I had no idea that my own address would cause these problems.

The fact that I also lay out the CactusWorld newsletter section is not directly related to this.
Sheila
Editor - Cactus and Succulent Review
https://www.cactusandsucculentreview.org.uk
Born in Essex – growing in the world
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Sorry if it is Sheila but not realy sure what is inaccurate about what I said, you are the journal newsletter editor, mailchimp needs an email adress, at some point you added yours, it is going to be changed.

Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Sheila
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Sheila »

Hi,

Sorry Bill. I read it as if the fact that I lay out the CactusWorld newsletter section had some bearing on using my address for Mailchimp.

Taken as separate statements they are correct, although I suppose I should say that I don’t really edit either the newsletter (apart from the branch reports) or the enews. My job is to put them together based on material sent to me by Al Laius (CactusWorld) or Graham Evans) (enews). This might seem a little pedantic but I don’t want to claim to do more than is really the case.

The one thing that I do edit and produce in its entirety is the Essex Succulent Review. I do this independently, not as part of the BCSS, but I am grateful that Bill allows me to notify you of new issues on the Forum.
Sheila
Editor - Cactus and Succulent Review
https://www.cactusandsucculentreview.org.uk
Born in Essex – growing in the world