BEF pots

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEA VALLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: BEF pots

Post by el48tel »

D^L wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:38 pm Having the "right" shape and size of pot to fit in the spaces in the gteenhouse is great. But as mentioned above I hope we are using the chemistry for the plastics.
I may be confused by the complex ownership history but if Andrews are producing them, are they injecting with a modern-day disposable plastic that they are no doubt set up to do?
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
As a professional organisation I would trust that they knew what they were doing - one would hope that there methodology was the one of using a large % of recycled materials rather than disposable or biodegradable (fixed life) - and again as professionals would know the inherent issues of using mixed feedstock.
I think we shouldn't really comment on their ability in this forum.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND

Post by ragamala »

There were two qualities of the "original" BEF pots - they were a good shape for our needs and they were of superb quality. el48tel is right - I trust Manchester as the beneficiaries of the BEF legacy to see us right.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LITTLEHAMPTON

Post by Jim_Mercer »

el48tel wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:44 pm
D^L wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:38 pm Having the "right" shape and size of pot to fit in the spaces in the gteenhouse is great. But as mentioned above I hope we are using the chemistry for the plastics.
I may be confused by the complex ownership history but if Andrews are producing them, are they injecting with a modern-day disposable plastic that they are no doubt set up to do?
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
As a professional organisation I would trust that they knew what they were doing - one would hope that there methodology was the one of using a large % of recycled materials rather than disposable or biodegradable (fixed life) - and again as professionals would know the inherent issues of using mixed feedstock.
From the Andrews site
Where ever possible, Andrew Plastics purchases recycled raw materials.
The majority of our High Impact Polystyrene is recycled plastic. This is made from post consumer waste. This is produced from bath panels, fridge trays and off cut sheets.
Our Polypropylene is manufactured from post consumer waste crates, supermarket baskets and drink bottle crates.
When this material is delivered on site, a colour pigment is added and adjusted accordingly to the material. This enables us to create the correct colour to meet our customer demands.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by el48tel »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:15 pm
el48tel wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:44 pm
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
From the Andrews site
Where ever possible, Andrew Plastics purchases recycled raw materials.
The majority of our High Impact Polystyrene is recycled plastic. This is made from post consumer waste. This is produced from bath panels, fridge trays and off cut sheets.
Our Polypropylene is manufactured from post consumer waste crates, supermarket baskets and drink bottle crates.
When this material is delivered on site, a colour pigment is added and adjusted accordingly to the material. This enables us to create the correct colour to meet our customer demands.
Thanks Jim
I would hope that this would reassure the "enviro" doubters since it reinforces that which I was trying to convey. The polymer mix most certainly is the main reason for the longevity and durability.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Why not just email Manchester branch and ask what is used etc I'm sure they would help
They are at the moment selling the remaining pots that Philip had been selling up to his passing so they are the same quality that people have been enjoying for years
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
agavedave
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by agavedave »

I wipe a bit of Armor All Protectant Semi-Matt Finish on some of mine that spend a lot of time outside, seems to slow down the breakdown a bit. Particularly the large pots that I can't afford to throw away after 2-3 years.

Regards
Dave