BEF pots

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
aloedanielo
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

BEF pots

Post by aloedanielo »

Just been sent an email from Andrew Plastics saying that the Philips BEF Pot Tooling is now owned by Manchester BCSS branch and that they now have authority to sell the pots?

It then goes on to give the contact details for Peter Bint & Ivor Crook to place a pot order?

Can it be true???
Bill
Branch: None

Re: BEF pots

Post by Bill »

Apologies for deleting posts but better that than perpetuating the misunderstanding that was going on.

My understanding of the situation was that Manchester branch were the intended beneficiaries of the BEF pot business and it now appears that any past issues have been resolved, enquires for BEF pots need to be directed to Manchester branch as above.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN

Post by habanerocat »

No prices yet, but it's under construction.

http://manchester.bcss.org.uk/home/bef-pots/
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Chris in Leeds »

And if you look at the information on the NWMart it says about pots there
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=167847
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Welcome news. I’ve had to bin several 2.75” BEFs this repotting season as the shoulders have finally succumbed to the light. 40 years service isn’t anything to complain about though!
I feel an order coming on. Unfortunately most shows are in the cricket season, so I rely on the mail.
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Keith H »

Really good to hear that Manchester branch will be able to produce and hopefully profit from the legendary BEF pots, I too look forward to placing an order when the web site goes live. (tu)
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

The longevity of the original BEF pots was reliant on the type of plastic that was used and consequently nothing to do with moulds. Therefore I hope that any new BEF pots that are being made will use similar high grade material (not that it is particularly important to those of us whose main plant-growing career is behind us!). This could of course make the pots more expensive than some of the tat that is available. Has anyone noticed that the rims detach within a few years on some of the modern pots?

Pots used for 40 years are of course the answer to the current Monty-Don-inspired teeth gnashing about the plastic waste generated in gardening.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Terry S. wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:57 amHas anyone noticed that the rims detach within a few years on some of the modern pots?
Yes. :mad:
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Yup - what most people don't realise is that "plastic" pots are not 100% "plastic" --- in fact far from it. They contain "fillers" like clay or chalk or XXXXX to make them more rigid and cheaper AND "plasticizer" which makes them more "plastic" (wrong word usage in common usage because plastic = it flows) so the stuff flows through the mold and has flexibility. Over time the plasticizer leaches out and what is left is brittle.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by D^L »

Having the "right" shape and size of pot to fit in the spaces in the gteenhouse is great. But as mentioned above I hope we are using the chemistry for the plastics.
I may be confused by the complex ownership history but if Andrews are producing them, are they injecting with a modern-day disposable plastic that they are no doubt set up to do?
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol