George Hollis, FBCSS

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
topsy
BCSS Trustee
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

George Hollis, FBCSS

Post by topsy »

It is with much sadness that I have learned of George Hollis' death on 20th January 2019

His funeral will be held on Wednesday 20th February at Eltham Crematorium at 12.15.

George had been a member for 50 years and may well have been a founding member of Dartford branch. He was, at one time, the Southern area librarian (old CSSGB library), taking over the cataloguing of it; he was Secretary of Dartford branch and was Chairman of the BCSS Shows Committee for a period. He was heavily involved with the organising of the NCSS Chelsea exhibits for, I believe, three years, parking his caravan at the Crystal Palace caravan park for the helpers to sleep in.

Always very willing to help in any way, he was a true friend.

Suzanne
cactuspip
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: George Hollis, FBCSS

Post by cactuspip »

I was very sad to here the news about George yesterday.

Dartford Branch was 50 years old last year and George was indeed one of the founding members.

George was always very generous with his plants and his vast knowledge. When I was getting my collection of Conophytums going he invited me round. I ended up with 12 half-sized seed trays full of cuttings!

I think the loss of his inseparable partner, Janine, affected him very badly.

I know many will miss George greatly.

Philip Moor
Treasurer
Dartford Branch BCSS
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

It is only the longer-standing members of the Society who will remember George, because he hasn't been involved in many of our activities for about ten years. The loss of his wife combined with arthritis made life very difficult for him. However for almost 40 years in the 70s through to the early 2000s he was a stalwart of the Society, particularly with shows for which he was the BCSS Show Secretary for some time. He also gave many talks to entertain our local branches. It is sad when problems such as those experienced by George in the last few years result in loss of an interest that endured for most of his earlier life.
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Yes that is sad Terry, when age catches up with us all, and good collections are just left to wither away.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.