Favourite Tylecodon

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Favourite Tylecodon

Post by Tina »

Here is my favourite tylecodon, its tylecodon singularis .
Its a unique plant to grow as its normally just a large single leaf that grows from the geophyte tuber, it has nice hairy leaves, its a winter grower and in the summer I place it at the back of the staging with a big label so I don't throw it away.
This is a plant I grew from my own seed sown in Dec 2014, shame I only managed to grow one.
tylecodon singularis A 2_19.jpg
and its going to flower so fingers crossed for seed
tylecodon singularis  flower from seed dec 2014 2_19.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Re: Favourite Tylecodon

Post by MikeDom »

Hi Tina,

Well done for keeping it, it is a good looking plant. I grew mine from MSG seed last year, 7 seeds, 7 plants. I let the seeds dry out by accident and thought that was the end, watered again and a week later they all germinated. The largest is 3.25" wide at one year old, and in the photo they are all actually wilted. Interesting that they all grow at different rates with the same treatment, will be a challenge to get the small ones to any decent size. As you've said before, we seem to grow the same/similar plants.
IMG_4975[1].JPG
Close up of the largest, I love the veins on the underside.
IMG_4976[1].JPG
My favourite Tylecodon has to be T. wallichii. So fragile, the leaves drop off if you look at it. Supposed to be going to a table show this weekend but it won't stand the vibration in the car without all the leaves falling off.

I've never managed to get the seed to germinate although I have no problems with other Tylecodon.
Attachments
IMG_4977[1].JPG
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Lovely plant Tina.

Wallichii can become a bit of a monster. I had to move mine on because it got too big.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Well done to both of you (tu)
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Mike D,
Thats a lovely batch, and multiple leaves on some I'm impressed (tu) .

Silly Q time, at ELK there were plants with bigger leaves more dinner plate than side plate ( my plant) so are these just older or been fed. I don't feed mine but I did used to repot them every other year but this was before the move when I had less plants and greenhouses so more time :lol: .
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

It is worth noting how unique this species is. T. singularis is basal to the genus Tylecodon, meaning that it was the first species to diverge from the ancestral plant. Isolated on top of the mountains in southern Namibia, it then evolved along its own pathway to something that is totally different to the rest of its genus. I showed a specimen to my colleagues on the RHS Tender Ornamental Plant Committee this time last year and they were bowled over by it. The committee is full of experienced plantsmen and plantswomen and even those who worked at botanical gardens had never seen it before.

It was first described in 1978 and really did not get into cultivation until the collection made by Peter Bruyns about 20 years later. Peter produced some seed from his plants and this was distributed to various people including Apicra on this Forum. Apicra has since produced lots of seed by cross-pollinating plants and most plants in the UK are derived from this. So thanks Apicra for enabling such a unique plant to end up in our greenhouses.

I wonder if it is possible to produce hybrids from it or is it too genetically isolated?
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Terry
Thanks that is interesting to know I do think its a seriously 'unique' plant and really like growing it.
You mentioning about hybrids I only have the one T.singularis now but was hoping to encourage viable seed by using any pollen that I can find in the greenhouses, might it work ?

Mike
How did you do in the show, with the tylecodon wallachii would it travel better if it was dehydrated I know in the guide to shows it says water a few days before a show but with some of my agaves & euphorbia its safer if they are not turgid
Tina

Bucks, UK
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Tina, nice and also a strange plant lol. I have some seed soon to be sown when weather warms up. Have you any tips on sowing, or should I use my favoured baggy method. Cheers
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

Tina wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:56 pm Mike
How did you do in the show, with the tylecodon wallachii would it travel better if it was dehydrated I know in the guide to shows it says water a few days before a show but with some of my agaves & euphorbia its safer if they are not turgid
Hi Tina,
I didn't take it as I really need someone to carry it as it doesn't naturally fit in a footwell without knocking the leaves off and I have to travel on country roads that aren't very well maintained. Pity really, I think it could have done quite well.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Eric,
Sow now, they are winter growers so won't need lots of heat
Tina

Bucks, UK