ID of a cactus from LIDL

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

ID of a cactus from LIDL

Post by el48tel »

DSCN2285.JPG
One of LIDL's Thursday specials.

I think it may be an Echinopsis or Lobivia or Denmoza ---- could anyone confirm please?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
KarlR
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: ID of a cactus from LIDL

Post by KarlR »

It's a Melocactus. Not sure which species. A handsome plant though!
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

KarlR wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:47 pm It's a Melocactus. Not sure which species. A handsome plant though!
thanks - is it an ernestii?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
KarlR
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by KarlR »

el48tel wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:56 pm
KarlR wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:47 pm It's a Melocactus. Not sure which species. A handsome plant though!
Could be, but I thought they usually had longer spines. I'm certainly no Melo expert though, so I won't hazard a guess at which species it might be.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

KarlR wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:48 pm
el48tel wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:56 pm
Could be, but I thought they usually had longer spines. I'm certainly no Melo expert though, so I won't hazard a guess at which species it might be.
Neither am I - but your Melocactus suggestion prompted an on-line search ---- until I found a match which looks near - hoping a more knowledgeable person might affirm or correct my assertion