Impatiens tuberosa graft rescue

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
kohinoor
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Impatiens tuberosa graft rescue

Post by kohinoor »

Impatiens tuberosa is't very hard so to speak . In the subtropical Taiwan, it can be flowered in half a year from seed, and the caudex can be pump up to 4CM.

But she is shockingly prone to root rot.

I tried to cultivate in the water tray and got a very high growth rate of 0.5CM per month, but it rotted at the beginning of September.

My friend kindly give me another seedling in December.In my second attempt , this time I switched to a drier medium, it still rotten.I speculated that i water too soon after rept,the wound touch the water and rot.

In short, she is inexplicably prone to sudden rot in a humid environment.
Remind me of Pseudolithos and lithops.

In the second case,the root rot is still in its early stages.A large chunk of caudex still remain. Therefore, I can retain a part of the caudex, which give me larger touching area when grafted.

Success.
I used the balsam flower bought from the local flower market as stuck.

After grafting, it is sealed with parafilm tape. Gently press with hand to make the parafilms stick to each other and become a hard shell.

Placed on the window sill of indoor sunlight scattering, the temperature is 25~28C

The first try, I put the whole plant into the humid box. As a result, because the water is too abundant, the wound bursts after sucking too much water.
(You can see the humid box in background,it was a glass tank with plastic cover)

It took only 2 days, I immediately observed it,cut and regraft.This time she was placed on the window sill and succeeded.

You can clearly see the growth.It's not even growing season yet.

From taiwan. hot humid subtropical island.
Pachypodium grow like weed here.
(not really, but u get the idea hot sunny rainy)
kohinoor
Registered Guest

Re: Impatiens tuberosa graft rescue

Post by kohinoor »

I gradually cut off the stuck's branch. Only Impatiens tuberosa left.
I can see some bud forming.It;s self fertile i am looking forward my first batch of seed!
From taiwan. hot humid subtropical island.
Pachypodium grow like weed here.
(not really, but u get the idea hot sunny rainy)
Greenlarry
Registered Guest

Re: Impatiens tuberosa graft rescue

Post by Greenlarry »

Interesting, I wasn't aware there was a caudiciform Impatiens!
You can take the boy out of the greenhouse, but you can't take the greenhouse out of the boy!