Cleistocactus winteri colademononis  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Peter
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Cleistocactus winteri colademononis

Post by Peter »

Tina makes valid points about the good old days of the forum. As an early contributor (some years before the 2007 date quoted on quite a few members' details. That was a software change), I fondly recall the banter that went on. For example, 'other succulents' were weeds to us cacti growers (of spikies). Nowadays such banter would bring a lot of malignant abuse from the humourless and sensitive. I also know for a fact that some members were disincentivised by a comment that showing pictures of interesting plants was just a form of showing off. To me, including such pictures was the best way to educate folk, especially the newbies. I don't post many pics of such plants any more and I'm not alone in that regard.
In a way, it seems somewhat to me that there's more discussion and less blaze of colour than there used to be.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Cleistocactus winteri colademononis  Solved

Post by Ali Baba »

To get back to the original poster :roll: If you'd like to email me I have some seedlings.

And Tony: you get my vote :grin:
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Ali Baba wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:12 am And Tony: you get my vote :grin:
Agreed! I don't have any problems with the present team; as volunteers they are doing a job which cannot be easy. I think that Peter also makes a good point, there does seem to be a tendency towards hypersensitivity and a lack of humour, or even tolerance. Peter I've seen pictures of your plants and they are fantastic, it's great to see lovely plants and, in my opinion, it certainly isn't showing off!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

I don't have a problem with the moderator team and do chat to Tony but Tony asked me to answer a question so I did, its my thoughts not aimed at any individuals.
does seem to be a tendency towards hypersensitivity
exactly, more plant talk and pictures please, we all need eye candy in the winter, I don't get much time in the summer so have been trying to organise my photo store whilst its wet n grey here so there may be more 'cabbages' to bore you with.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Kees
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Kees »

Tina is right. The German forum Kakteenforum.com is much livelier, it has many more new threads every day than the BCSS forum. And many more pix.

For those interested: here is the link to their new posts page.
https://www.kakteenforum.com/search?search_id=newposts
You may have to register before you get to see what's new since your last visit.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Also Tony, the option to report the post for being in the wrong area still doesn't work.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Tina wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:37 am Also Tony, the option to report the post for being in the wrong area still doesn't work.
No, I don't think it ever has?
PMs to Moderators is the way forward until/if/when we get a new Forum/website.
Thanks.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

I get the feeling that the forum is loosing support because more people are posting on the "face" site and do not want to precipitate on a forum where if you make comments and offer up "facts" you had better have your sources ready to cite.
Acid John