Echeveria Agavoides..the real deal or marketing gimmick?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
agavemad
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Echeveria Agavoides..the real deal or marketing gimmick?

Post by agavemad » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:09 pm

Beautiful plants.
I have to agree with Tina on the agave's also..... I have been a sucker a few times my worst was a bog standard agave Americana variegated, that had a load of spiel about where it had come from and how rare it was and how its variegation was so much different. Turns out its just a normal everyday plant that was slightly too pale and once in decent light turned out normal yellow variegation. I paid around £25 for that pup.
I now buy plants because I like the look of them :grin:
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:41 pm

IMG_0634.JPG
This is quite a nice coloured one, E. frank reinelt, which is a hybrid of agavoides and colorata. I generally check the names on the International Crassulacea Network website, assume this would show which names are correctly registered?
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Terry S.
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH SURREY
Role within the BCSS: Journal Team

Post by Terry S. » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:58 am

There isn't a Registration authority for Echeveria, any volunteers? Incidentally, Agave has a mention in this thread and there is a Registration Authority for that: American Public Gardens Association based at the US National Arboretum.
WayneM
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by WayneM » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:15 pm

Not grumbling this time. Just celebrating Agavoides!

Forgot to include Echeveria Agavoides Aquamarine.
Mine has grown into quite a beast, no pups as of yet.

DSC09238.jpg
DSC09238.jpg (64.31 KiB) Viewed 618 times
Pupwise only Lipstick seems to readily produce them. I guess other hybrids have to be very happy to do that, has anyone had experiences of Ebony, Romeo,etc producing offsets? I'm not sure I could ever chop one of plants to force them to offset.

I'm having a go at growing some from seed, and if my hybrids flower together once the temps are right, then perhaps I can try hybridizing?

Wayne
Terry S.
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH SURREY
Role within the BCSS: Journal Team

Post by Terry S. » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:30 am

Don't forget that most non-variegated echeverias can be propagated from stem leaves or from the bracts removed from inflorescences. Having said that, I have never tried E. agavoides, there are always exceptions to general principles.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:40 am

Terry S. wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:30 am
Don't forget that most non-variegated echeverias can be propagated from stem leaves or from the bracts removed from inflorescences. Having said that, I have never tried E. agavoides, there are always exceptions to general principles.
Agavoides is easy from stem leaves. I haven't tried flower stem bracts for this species - it's usually a good method because you don't damage the main rosette.
I suspect the gold glitter leaved E. agavoides on sale in garden centres at Christmas don't come true from leaf cuttings, but I've resisted buying any. :sad:
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Committee member

Post by Tina » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:05 pm

Hi Wayne,
My large Ebony, has produced two pups naturally.
I love that green one
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator Northampton & Mk Branch