Mammillaria haudeana: RIP  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
SpikyMike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BERKHAMSTED & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Mammillaria haudeana: RIP

Post by SpikyMike »

Sadly my little Mam. haudeana has died. Only bought last autumn. Was inside indoors, on a south facing window. Just seemed to dry up and turn to crisp 😢. Perhaps I should have kept a bit of moisture as inside and v warm?

Ho hum. Will have to see if I can find another one and try harder next time!
Mike Walton
Birkhamsted Branch
Hertfordshire
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Re: Mammillaria haudeana: RIP

Post by Chris43 »

Some of these Mamms are tricky, and do dry up apparently without warning. M. haudeana comes from an area which is normally quite hot at this time of year, and the low typically is 8C. At the moment its unseasonably cold, with temps of +16/-2, so they can be tough and resist occasional lows. Mind you, they are also pulled down into the soil so have some insulation around them.
We grow them far more above ground than in nature, and in our centrally heated houses, a teaspoon or so of water a few times through the winter is a worthwhile precaution.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

I doubt it died just from lack of water though. Anything except a tiny seedling will go through the winter completely dry. In a hot home it might look a bit shrivelled by spring, but wouldn't be a dessicated husk. The dried-out husk means it died a long time ago, the original cause will be guesswork.
Cheshire, UK
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

A problem with autumn-flowering mams is that botrytis can develop on dead flowers before they dry up completely and the fungus then works its way into the plant body. This can also be a problem with M. solisioides. However, with the low relative humidity in a dwelling house, this shouldn't happen.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

The above is rubbish of course. I was thinking of M. hernandezii with the autumn flowers.
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

Terry can you use your wisdom on this annoying plant
Attachments
Mammillaria Hernandez not doing the business
Mammillaria Hernandez not doing the business
Acid John
Terry S.

Re: Mammillaria haudeana: RIP  Solved

Post by Terry S. »

What's the problem, flowers failing to open? This species tends to flower October/November when light is starting to be problematic in UK greenhouses. My plant of M. hernandezii is about the same size as the one in your photo and some years it opens its flowers and in other years it struggles. It is on the top shelf in a greenhouse which has some shade from April-September. Last autumn we had some nice sunny days at the right time here in north Surrey and the flowers opened well. I think it is just a light factor.