Oreocereus plants??

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeDom
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLASGOW
Role within the BCSS: Member

Oreocereus plants??

Post by MikeDom »

Bought this plant which I suggest is an Oreocereus. Looks like the tall plant in the middle could be O. hendriksenianus surrounded by a whole batch of O. trollii. Wonder if someone can confirm please what these plants are. Thanks.
IMG_5007[1].JPG
IMG_5006[1].JPG
Last edited by MikeDom on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Phil_SK
Branch: LUTON
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Oreocereus plants

Post by Phil_SK »

I think you've a Pilosocereus sp. among a forest of Espostoa lanata seedlings.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLASGOW
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Oreocereus plants

Post by MikeDom »

Thanks Phil. I pulled it apart his evening (it's all go in my house) as I wasn't going to wait till tomorrow. The spines are fine, detach easily and stick in the skin much like on Opuntia vestita, on the small woolly plants. From memory the Oreocereus spines don't detach so I will go with your suggestions Phil. This is what I have ended up with, far too many plants as usual, but for a couple of quid who can say no and they have very healthy root systems. I'm going to have to stick to succulents …

IMG_5010[1].JPG
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).