Watering

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Watering

Post by Herts Mike »

The forecast for this week is good. I think I'll give the Aloes a splash.
Terry S.

Re: Watering

Post by Terry S. »

Do you give any water during winter to those aloes from a Mediterranean climate, e.g. A. krapohliana and melanacantha or do they easily convert to a summer-watering regime? If they do convert, then why do species such as this and Orbea variegata happily grow in our summers whereas the likes of Tylecodon or Mitrophyllum just will not?
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

I believe that with Mitrophyllums and the other similar winter growers, that it is not simply the climate but a combination of the daylight length and night-time temperature, but that is only an observation in my own collection, not a scientific fact.

Suzanne
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

But why Topsy do some plants which commence growth in the wild with falling night temperatures and shorter day length adjust to cultivation by growing in higher temperatures and long day length? Orbea variegata will adjust but Mitrophyllum will not and I was wondering what enthusiasts' experience of aloes was?

My theory is that it depends on how particular plants evolved. So aloes and asclepiads are extremely widespread through Arabia and Africa and most evolved in summer-rainfall areas. A few species migrated into the Mediterranean climate area or got stuck there when it developed 5 million years ago; as a result they developed an ability to grow under those conditions but still retained the genes for summer-growth. However, it is likely that genera such as Mitrophyllum which are only known from a Mediterranean climate area, evolved within those areas and have no ability to grow during hot weather.

Now shoot me down!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I think that's an excellent theory Terry.

As it happens I water my Aloes all year round but not December and January and work with weather November and February.

The "winter growing" Aloes get a little more late and early.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by esp »

I also water Aloes year round, although lightly in winter and with a complete pause during longer cold spells.
I find they are happy to grow year round (probably best not to encourage too much growth in winter unless they get a lot of light), but seem quite set in their ways about flowering time. I guess flowering time is closely linked with specific pollinators availability, so referenced to specific time of years aspects such as day length, rather than an opportunistic ability to use water.
From reports from growers in Arizona etc, it seems that some Aloes may be more of a challenge in places with very hot, dry summers, and getting the right balance of water / shade etc may be tricky and more species dependent than in a temperate climate like the UK.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

I water the Madagascan ones in winter as that is when they seem to flower (I water them in summer too).
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk