Oreocereus hendricksianus

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Peter
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Oreocereus hendricksianus

Post by Peter »

Further to MikeDom's mention of this in his Oreocereus thread, here is my plant. It's amongst my favourite cacti, as to me, it's distinctive and attractive. A slow grower though.
IMG_0002.JPG
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Oreocereus hendricksianus

Post by MikeDom »

Nice plant Peter, and a nice selection of woolly cacti. just goes to show I was miles off target in trying to identify my plant. I get the feeling that Oreocereus aren't that 'fashionable' anymore, but I like them and them and the woolly cacti.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

It's good to see these lovely mature plants Peter. I wonder if columnar cacti are generally rather 'unfashionable' now, perhaps because of space limitations, it's rather a shame.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
SpikyMike
BCSS Member
Branch: BERKHAMSTED & District

Post by SpikyMike »

Peter wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:10 am Further to MikeDom's mention of this in his Oreocereus thread, here is my plant.....
Peter: you have an amazing collection! Very impressive! Oh - to have a greenhouse!
Mike Walton
Birkhamsted Branch
Hertfordshire
Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Peter »

MikeDom wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:29 am Nice plant Peter, and a nice selection of woolly cacti. just goes to show I was miles off target in trying to identify my plant. I get the feeling that Oreocereus aren't that 'fashionable' anymore, but I like them and them and the woolly cacti.
You're dead right Mike. It's not at all recent, this lack of interest in Oreocereus and tall cacti.

Quite some years ago I went to a cactus disposal auction and one lot was a substantial three legged O.celsianus, a plant that many would describe as impressive - but did anyone want it? No bids, so muggins here said ' look, I'll kick off the bidding with a fiver'. You guessed it - I went home with this great big plant that nobody, out of an audience of at least 70 people, wanted. And neither did I. Already had a few and didn't really want another taking up space. And the thing cost me one of Her Majesty's crisp £5.00 notes. The swines were laughing their socks off as I staggered out to the car with it and Mrs T did the same when I was trying to manoeuver it out of the boot back at the old stately pile.
MikeDom
BCSS Member

Post by MikeDom »

And Mrs D says I have no fashion sense :lol:

Don't worry, we all have a soft spot for orphan cacti. I've bid on plants that I haven't even seen which is even worse. Must learn to keep my mouth shut.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
MikeDom
BCSS Member

Post by MikeDom »

Peter,
If you've still got the auction bug, have a go at these. Of course, you'll have to get them back from Palermo... and I don't think they'll take a fiver as your final bid :wink:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... e600a9c118

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... e600a9c118

No idea what they are either.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

How about grusonii grow in various light conditions over the years.
Acid John