Own soil mix for Cacti and Succulents

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Terry S.
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: Own soil mix for Cacti and Succulents

Post by Terry S. »

I would not replace the grit with Perlite. Perlite is just something that I have used for propagation purposes. When using it, one has to avoid breathing the dust and its lightness means that the centre of gravity of the potted plant will be higher and more easily knocked over. I doesn't look nice when washed to the surface of the compost either. I think it holds some moisture which grit does not and finally, it is difficult to acquire the coarser grades. You could probably work out a mix containing JI, grit and Perlite, but as I said in my first post, it is better to keep mixes simple.
Bonsai2
BCSS Member
Branch: FIFE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Bonsai2 »

Many thanks Terry for the advice. I will put it to good use.
Bonsai2
(Member)
Bonsai2
BCSS Member
Branch: FIFE

Post by Bonsai2 »

Thanks to everyone for their advice/suggestions.

I will now start re-potting and will also do a couple of tests and see how things work out this year.
Bonsai2
(Member)
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

This winter I’ve been adding pumice sand to my mix. Bought on line from a supplier in Germany, it’s not the cheapest (about 70p a litre delivered when bought in reasonable quantities) but it does give the compost a lovely open feel. I might be very disappointed when I start watering. Just type “pumice sand” into eBay and you will find what I’ve been using.
My mix this winter has been 1 part JI #3, 1 part pumice sand, 1 part Sanicat (or equivalent), 1 part pumice (4 to 8mm). Limestone clippings added for selected plants. All measured by volume with the mark 1 flower pot.
This is used for cacti.