Help for newbie to identify a possible problem

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Help for newbie to identify a possible problem

Post by el48tel »

DSCN2305.JPG
My Grusonii has developed these brown patches during the 3 winter months in the greenhouse at 6C.
1. what might they be?
2. is it curable?
3. will it recover?
Last edited by el48tel on Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Re: Help or newbie to identify a possible problem

Post by topsy »

Hello,

This has been caused by a combination of cold and damp. This particular species is prone to getting these orange spots. They will not go away. However if you continue to grow your cactus and keep it warmer next winter, perhaps indoors until it gets larger, the epidermis will move down the plant and the spots not be so noticeable. The other option you have, as this is a freely available species is to buy another one.

So a warmer and drier atmosphere is the answer for next winter.

Good luck, Suzanne
SpikyMike
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by SpikyMike »

I’m wondering if it is due to a mite called Brevipalpus russula. These are tiny. Far too small to see with a naked eye. I have seen some of them on some of my plants bothusing a 30x loupe magnifier (£4 via eBay). I’m using weekly applications of neem oil spray as apparently these little beasties ingest the neem and it causes them to fail to reproduce or something.
Mike Walton
Birkhamsted Branch
Hertfordshire
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

I agree with Topsy- it looks typical of cold damage.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Thanks guys
The cold n damp seems to fit the diagnosis.
As for replacement ... no can do ... it was a gift from daughter. So it's warm TLC and wait.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I’d check your thermometer.
Mine lives at 5 or so in winter and doesn’t get so marked.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

Cidermanrolls wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:35 pm I’d check your thermometer.
Mine lives at 5 or so in winter and doesn’t get so marked.
You took the words out of my mouth, mine is kept at around 6C and has never marked.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

I have one Echinocactus grusonii of the yellow-spined variety that has survived forty years with me and has lived in an unheated greenhouse (where for sure temperatures have gone well below 5 or 6 degrees) and survived without marking. It may well be that younger plants are more susceptible to cold damage, mine got treated "better" when they were young and experienced later survival of the fittest neglect.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Looks like cold damage to me also.

I'm a firm believer that cold hardiness can vary a lot from plant to plant. Call it variety, sub-species or whatever you want. Some plants survive the cold better than others.

Any plant I ever brought back from Spain has died, whereas plants from continental Europe and seed I've grown myself all seem hardier.

Perhaps it's the DNA of the seeds or perhaps the way they are treated the first few years. I don't know.
It's just what I have found from experience. Perhaps because I grow them hard (very little water and fertilizer). I just don't know.
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

This species will take a few degrees of frost no problem, but as Suzanne says it is the damp with the cold that marks this plant.

In habitat this plant goes down to -10c ( 14f ) with no problems but the air will be very dry, so far this winter my plants of this species have gone down to -4c and they are fine, Ferocactus also mark up badly if the humidity is high on a cold night.

Growing your own plants from seeds will always give you a plant that has survived your conditions as a seedling therefore more at home in your growing conditions, while many of the others in the same seed pan will have died off as you say habanerocat it is just the variety within the seed of the species
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.