Aeonium sunburst variegata cristate - what to do?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeDom
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Aeonium sunburst variegata cristate - what to do?

Post by MikeDom »

Impulse buy last year, growing well and looking good, but getting top heavy. I'm concerned that the stalk which is thin and flat won't support it. Is there a way of removing some of the top growth and propagating it? This species is a new one on me.

IMG_5028.JPG
IMG_5031.JPG
IMG_5036.JPG
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Aeonium sunburst variegata cristate - what to do?

Post by Diane »

You can take a few cuttings from it, they root quite easily in a gritty mix, and restart new plants. It sometimes throws off normal rosettes too, which can also be propagated.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
MikeDom
BCSS Member

Post by MikeDom »

Thanks Diane, as usual I shall probably wait until it falls over before I do anything :oops:
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

It's probably the reverted growth that is making it top heavy. I would carefully remove all of them and as Diane says, root them after leaving them to dry for a few days. If you don't remove all the reverted rosettes you will risk losing the cristate growth, as the normal rosettes will be much more vigorous.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
MikeDom
BCSS Member

Post by MikeDom »

Thanks for the advice Liz, will do.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

I'd echo what's been said, but add that for me it does get straggly and top-heavy after a couple of years, usually means it's time to break it up and restart from cuttings. You can see aerial roots in your photo, that gives you a good indication of how easily cuttings will root. The normal rosettes, once removed, will soon root and grow to a suitable size for selling, so a good one for keeping a sales table supplied. Mine gives me a few normal rosettes every year for plant sales when our Branch Show is on.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
MikeDom
BCSS Member

Post by MikeDom »

Thanks for the advice Mike.
Mike

BCSS member 39216