Jade plants

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Julie A
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Jade plants

Post by Julie A »

Hi all, this guy in the photo has appeared on here a couple of times before. Once when I rescued him as a poor, pathetic, shrivelled specimen and was advised to repot and chop him back. He absolutely loved the rough treatment and came back in glorious succulent green glory. Then through nervousness of overwatering such a huge pot, I posted a pic of leaves he was dropping. Once I started watering more he was happy again. I have recently been away for 3 months and my dear neighbour has been caring for him. When I got home this was how I found him!! :grin: After many years of never seeing a Jade plant flower this guy is making up for lost time! I thought the flowers would be short lived - thinking cactus wise - but a month later he looks exactly the same! Wonderful. However, on the downside, at the same time he is dropping leaves fairly fast although it does seem to have slowed. The leaves are yellow, leathery and eventually wrinkled. My theory is my kind neighbour has overwatered. The soil was wetter than I normally have it in summer let alone winter. So my questions are: Firstly, does anyone know what makes a Jade happy enough to flower? Secondly, do others think the issue with the leaves is over watering? Thirdly, if it is overwatering will he grow replacements? I'm encouraged that he doesn't seem to be getting worse and the soil is certainly drier now - thanks to the warm weather. He lives in an unheated orangery/porch. Thank you!
Big jade Feb 2019reduced.jpg
Big jade Feb 2019reduced.jpg (222.77 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
Dropped leaves.jpg
Dropped leaves.jpg (34.57 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Jade plants

Post by Phil_SK »

Like any other evergreen shrub, it sheds leaves gradually through the year but at a faster rate just after a spurt of growth. If it's been 'well looked after' in your absence it's probably grown lots and decided it can afford to shed its oldest leaves now.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Hi Julie, I remember this plant from your previous posts, it looks splendid now and with so many flowers, well done!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Julie A
Registered Guest

Post by Julie A »

Thank you Juster! He caught me by surprise! :shock:

Thank you Phil. I hadn't thought about it from that perspective. At the same time I had a smaller one that suddently went the same way but more so. I started remedial care on it as it was still very wet - although it was apparently fine when got home the problem started quite soon after and it didn't seem to be drying out. It just seemed to keep deteriorating so I have actually composted it :eek: as I have other plants, including a nicer one of similar size and could do with one less! So I was assuming this was doing the same but maybe not.
Brian
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Brian »

Very impressive Julie. I have flowered other crassulas but not ovata, well done. (tu)
Last edited by Brian on Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julie A
Registered Guest

Post by Julie A »

Thank you Brian, although I am sure it is nothing much to do with me. Presumably he just likes his life!
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

This species naturally grows and flowers during the cooler months of the year. It seems as though your friend has probably given it more water than you would have done and it has reacted favourably. That is why it is looking so good at the moment. Lovely specimen.
Julie A
Registered Guest

Post by Julie A »

Thanks Terry. I'll have to remember to 'over' water next winter and see if it happens again :wink:
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Chez2 »

I have kept a couple of plants for many years and never seen them flower, well done!

I once over watered mine (or my mum did) to the extent that I rotted the stem right through at soil level. It had been given to me by my late grandma so I tried to root it and start again. I fully expected to have to cut it into sections and do it that way. To my surprise the whole plant rooted and started growing again.

Last May I hardened it off then put it outside for summer. Unfortunately the sun got so strong it burnt some of the leaves and they fell off. A month later it was thriving again. It has been out in the heated polytunnel all winter.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

I've found these Crassulas flower at this time of year as long as they have had a dry winter rest. If it's still cold I wouldn't water even if it is flowering. Watering during the winter will just promote weak growth and rotting stems if too much water. I'd guess that your plant was left dry while you were away and that's why it's flowering. The person looking after it probably thought it best to water it just before you came back so it looked as if it had been looked after.

Stuart