eNews Special Edition

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: eNews Special Edition

Post by el48tel »

No problems getting the mail - but then the "good" "bad" and "ugly" lists edited in the mail service.
Love the survey idea!
No problems with the "new members" survey.
Hope it generates that which you (BCSS) wanted to discover
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Ian Thwaites
BCSS Member
Branch: SPALDING
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Ian Thwaites »

The survey question issue has been addressed so please feel free to give us your views.

Its very important for me as I want to build the BCSS based on what the members want rather than what an aging committee think you want.

Kind regards
Ian
Ian Thwaites
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Ian

Of course, it could be more important in the long-term to base it on what the NON-members want, given that most of us existing members are OAPs.

Ralph
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Ian Thwaites
BCSS Member

Post by Ian Thwaites »

ralphrmartin wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:11 pm Ian

Of course, it could be more important in the long-term to base it on what the NON-members want, given that most of us existing members are OAPs.

Ralph
Ralph
There is a seperate survey for new members and the data will be used at a workshop where I have new, not so new and some more experienced members.

As far as I am concerned I want to build a society that wil serve all ages and experiences of our members. The problem at the moment is that a lot of feedback is based on what people don't like so I want to understand what everyone wants and then to build on it.

Ian
Ian Thwaites
JohnE
BCSS Branch Official
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by JohnE »

Ian Thwaites wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:02 pm The survey question issue has been addressed so please feel free to give us your views.

Its very important for me as I want to build the BCSS based on what the members want rather than what an aging committee think you want.

Kind regards
Ian
I answered the survey before Q7 was fixed. The problem was that it would only allow one selection in each column. I pointed this out and typed my missing responses at the end of the response to Q6. Will this be OK? I assume whoever reads my response will be able to apply my written answers to Q7 OK?
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

Ian Thwaites wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:29 pm
ralphrmartin wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:11 pm Ian

Ralph
Ralph
There is a seperate survey for new members and the data will be used at a workshop where I have new, not so new and some more experienced members.

As far as I am concerned I want to build a society that wil serve all ages and experiences of our members. The problem at the moment is that a lot of feedback is based on what people don't like so I want to understand what everyone wants and then to build on it.

Ian
Have you considered asking for non members on the Facebooks groups to complete a similar survey? I am a new member but I am a member of several different gardening groups on Facebook. Many of them have tropical / exotic or arid style gardens or grow unusual plants, including cacti and succulents. It was one of the people we met that way, a member of the Bradford branch (Joel Robinson) that encouraged us to join. We had been considering membership for several years and had been in touch on three previous occasions but we didn't get the impression it was for people who had been growing for a long time but had no real knowledge. I have had a lot of feedback from people in these groups and have fed it back to Peter Cowdell and others at the Sheffield branch.
SpikyMike
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by SpikyMike »

Chez2 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:49 am
Have you considered asking for non members on the Facebooks groups to complete a similar survey? I
Excellent idea!
Mike Walton
Birkhamsted Branch
Hertfordshire
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

But not everyone is happy to be a Facebrag member
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Ian Thwaites
BCSS Member

Post by Ian Thwaites »

I am more interested in what members want than people that may never join. We have a separate survey for new members / potential members. If we opened this up on the Facebook group we could be inundated with requests from people who have no intentions of joining.

I am paying to get the data analysed and if I opened this up to the 8000 members of the FB group how valid would this be. I am particularly focused on whether branches are delivering what members want. From the feedback I have had so far from newer members then the answer is a BIG no. Following this survey I have a workshop planned with new and long time members to discuss the results.

I will do a further survey on social media but I want to know what existing and new members want first.

So please continue to tell me what you want and I will try my hardest to meet your needs.

Kind regards

Ian
Ian Thwaites
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Ian Thwaites wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:25 pm ....................... If we opened this up on the Facebook group we could be inundated with requests from people who have no intentions of joining ................
A problem well documented with this exposure method

And to add my own comment --- Ian - as a newbie I'm enthused by what I hear from you and I do try to encourage people to visit this forum, and join the BCSS