Enjoying the afternoon sun...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ernie
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Enjoying the afternoon sun...

Post by Ernie »

Lovely plant well grown. Never had one of those.
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

My hugo-schlechteri opened in the sun today but it's a bit moth-eaten compared with Diane's.
Titanopsis hugo-schlecteri 24 Feb 2019
Titanopsis hugo-schlecteri 24 Feb 2019
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

Thought I would add another pretty mesemb enjoying the sun today - Delosperma sphalmanthoides.
The large plant on the left was a find at a garden centre, and the smaller one on the right was from Terry S.
Delosperma sphalmanthoides
Delosperma sphalmanthoides
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

These look lovely Diane, this beautiful sunny weather is very welcome, even if rather unseasonal.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Here is a hybrid that has Di's plant as one of its parents, it was bred in the western USA and is Delosperma sphalmanthoides x esterhuyseniae. Both parents are cold-tolerant so the hybrid should be too. Whereas D. sphalmanthoides only flowers now, the hybrid has its main flush of flowers now but produces smaller numbers over a period of many months which is a D. esterhuyseniae trait.
Delo sphalmester.jpg
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

My D. esterhuyseniae has been flowering sporadically right through the winter, but that's more down to the strange winter weather than the plant itself. It is a very attractive Delosperma, but not as cold hardy as many others. This one did well in the garden during the summer but didn't survive the winter. Good to about -5C in more protected conditions.
esterhuyseniae8.jpg
D. sphalmanthoides is extremely cold-hardy, lower than I'm likely to ever get. Not sure it would survive in the garden? I'm surprised the two crossed though, wouldn't be my guess for close relatives and Steven Hammer moved D. sphalmanthoides to a different genus, luckily also beginning with a D.
Cheshire, UK