Seeds Sown

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Re: Seeds Sown

Post by ralphrmartin »

Terry S. wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:43 am Don't try it unless you have some experience of handling such chemicals!
I'd emphasise Terry's warning. Mixing concentrated acid with water generates lots of heat, and if you do it wrong, you can splash boiling acid in your face, etc. Be absolutely sure you know what you are doing if you are going to try this.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

ralphrmartin wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:04 pm
Terry S. wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:43 am Don't try it unless you have some experience of handling such chemicals!
I'd emphasise Terry's warning. Mixing concentrated acid with water generates lots of heat, and if you do it wrong, you can splash boiling acid in your face, etc. Be absolutely sure you know what you are doing if you are going to try this.
Think one should give warning to folk thinking about attempting this process - disposal of the acid after using it also presents a hazard to the environment as well as the person
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Mal L
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Mal L »

I concur with all the above comments about safety. Having worked with concentrated sulphuric acid in laboratories I would honestly not advise obtaining, storing and handling this acid in a domestic context. Yes, it may indeed work, but it is not worth the potential risks just for the sake of increasing the germination rate of a few difficult (but not impossible) seeds.
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

In various other places on the Web, I've seen reference to enzymes, peroxide, potassium manganate(VII) and the like to degrade the seed outer; as well as fine glasspaper. Excuse my ignorance and my question, but in vivo, how does Mother Nature do it?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

The alpine enthusiasts use freeze/thaw cycles to aid seed germination of many species and this might be what is happening in the wild with pediocacti and sclerocacti, it can get quite cold in their habitats. Something else to consider is that there might be symbiotic fungal flora which could aid in germination. The other factor is perhaps they have adapted to only a few seeds germinating during any particular wet event. That way there is a seed bank in the ground that could germinate over subsequent years to help make survival more certain.

When we cultivate plants we are always using quite artificial systems and we want 100% germination of seeds within two weeks!
peter831shaw
Registered Guest

Post by peter831shaw »

Terry S. wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:43 am The concentrated sulphuric acid trick has been shown to work for some of the fynbos mesembs such as Saphesia flaccida, which is otherwise very reluctant to germinate. Don't try it unless you have some experience of handling such chemicals!
You also might try smoke. There are lots of references using smoke infused paper for plants from the fynbos. A friend used liquid smoke (cooking smoke) with good success.

Another option is GA3. Naturally occurring GA3 in seeds are what start the germination process, though the only issue I would have is the seedlings will have extra GA3 and will stretch.
Peter Shaw
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

The acronym reference in the above post is to gibberellins, which are naturally-occurring plant hormones with a variety of effects including regulation of germination. I do not remember seeing much work being reported on their uses with succulent plants, so do any Forumites have any direct experience with using gibberellins on our favourite plants or their seeds?
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

I tried GA3 with Sclerocactus seed - a few species - last year. Some seed I tried chipping, some water or weak acid soaking and some with GA3 treatment. With a couple of mixes of chipping or not combined with GA3.

The GA3 results were no different from results of other treatment. On the other hand, the results were pretty much zero in all cases, so I blamed myself more than the GA3. However, I shan't be trying it again.
peter831shaw
Registered Guest

Post by peter831shaw »

ralphrmartin wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:01 pm Well, the warm weather prompted me to get out and sow my seeds this weekend. There's about 160 packets gone in, and only one pot tipped all over the floor in my excitement... :shock:

2019-02-24 09.41.44.jpg

2019-02-24 09.26.38.jpg
That is a really impressive set up you have. Is the top hinged or the top and sides? Love the bench tops as well!

Peter
Peter Shaw
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Just the top fronts hinge. They are Hotbox propagators, and were supplied by HOK, the company that built my greenhouse (and who own Hotbox). The lids needed a bit of fixing (1) to replace pop-studs with rivets, and (2) to weight down the fronts to stop the plastic curling. They also supplied the benching; they bought in the flood trays from Denmark if my memory is correct.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk