My first Sclerocactus

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: My first Sclerocactus

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Iann; I am jealous, my var. wrightii has not flowered, but maybe not quite as big as your plant in the picture

Aiko: my plant is kept in a cold glasshouse with no heating at all the Echinocactus and most Thelocactus also seem to like a bright cold winter.

Karl; we could just call them Echinocactus it would be valid :lol:
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

How do you avoid the black sooty mould Ian?
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Terry S. wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:46 am How do you avoid the black sooty mould Ian?
I didn't say I did ;) Keeping the plants dessicated helps, but isn't an ideal solution. When it gets hot in summer, they like to weep and it is hard to stop them. Leaving them out in summer showers can help, but the sticky stuff really is sticky and the mould doesn't easily wash off - perhaps leaving them out all winter would get them clean. A soapy toothbrush is an option for people that have lots of time on their hands. The ultimate solution would probably be to not live in a climate with very humid autumns. Mostly I just settle for keeping the nasty stuff confined to the areoles.
Cheshire, UK