My first Sclerocactus

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
SpikyMike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

My first Sclerocactus

Post by SpikyMike »

Happy to have received my first of this genus. Sclerocactus unguinatus. Very friendly plant as I potted her up - she kept grabbing me with her long spines and didn’t want to let go. I spy two flower buds. Let’s see how she progresses!
Attachments
11D4E9BA-06DA-4333-818B-DC7B61C7954F.jpeg
Mike Walton
Birkhamsted Branch
Hertfordshire
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: My first Sclerocactus

Post by juster »

Nice plant Mike, but I can see that potting might be a problem!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

I think that should be Sclerocactus uncinatus, which used to be known as Glandulicactus uncinatus, so not quite as difficult as "true" Sclerocacti. It's a real pain to repot, and beware of it hooking up to neighbour plants! Nice dark flowers though.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

Very nice plant, and they have quite pretty flowers.

Molecular studies show that Sclerocactus s.l. (or according to Hunt) is paraphyletic, and Glandulicactus should probably be used for this species. But a rose by any other name and all that :wink:
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

It is uncinatus for sure, but Glandulicactus under the latest chemical and genetic studies clearly have no relationship with Sclerocactus, which could explain what Diane said about them being easier to go, the latest thinking is they could just be fancy Ferocactus or should that be Leuchtenbergia.

Sorry Karl only just seen your post
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
SpikyMike
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by SpikyMike »

Oh dear! Lol. I’m deflated. I thought I had a Sclerocactus - but it seems it’s an imposter and is actually an Glandulicactus! :lol:

Oh well. It’s my only one of those too.

I’ll have to see if I get any joy with germinating my Sclerocactus mesai-verdae. Once I’ve worked out how to chit them!

(And yes - I mis-typed. Definitely uncinatus)
Mike Walton
Birkhamsted Branch
Hertfordshire
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

SpikyMike wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:51 pm I’ll have to see if I get any joy with germinating my Sclerocactus mesai-verdae. Once I’ve worked out how to chit them!
The good news is I have successfully germinated mesae-verdae. Without chitting etc.

The bad news I find it hard to believe it is a true Sclerocactus. Certainly from my germination records it is on a path of its own - I have little or no success in germinating "true" Sclerocactus seed - with or without treatment.
Last edited by ragamala on Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

No worries, Ray!

I think so far the molecular studies suggest that Ferocactus as currently understood is not monophyletic and will probably have to be split. Leuchtenbergia being an older name may then have to be the new home for one group (although I hope not - won't feel right to call anything but principis for Leuchrenbergia :lol: ). There is also the unresolved relationship between the group Echinocactus platyacanthus, Echinocactus/Kroenleinia grusonii, Ferocactus histrix and probably a few others.

Then there is an unclear relationship between Ferocactus, Stenocactus and Thelocactus. And an unclear relationship between these and Hamatocactus, Glandulicactus and so on. I think it will be quite a mammoth task to unravel it all.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Glandulicactus is still a rewarding plant, if you like spines! And not difficult to grow, although it is not a B&Q special and needs some care over drainage.

Flowers are interesting rather than spectacular, although they are quite large. Mine tend to flower alternate years, which might mean I've not quite nailed the growing season yet. They flower early and grow later. They also produce an annoying amount of sap from extrafloral nectaries.

This is var wrightii from Texas. Particularly spiny, although some var uncinatus from further south have flowers that are more brown.
wrightii-0506b.jpg
Cheshire, UK
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I assume you keep yours unprotected from the cold in the greenhouse all winter?