How long can rooted plants...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Rich45s
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: KlNGSTON-on- THAMES

How long can rooted plants...

Post by Rich45s »

Wait until you replant?

So, you’ve ordered some bare root smallish bits, they take 3-4 days to reach you. I pot same day as getting them but how long a window would I realistically have if I didn’t want to pot day I received

Thank you
BCSS Member 52305
Nick_G
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: How long can rooted plants...

Post by Nick_G »

It depends on what they are. If they are cacti they'll be OK for weeks or even months or even longer.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

If I have bare rooted plants, for example when repotting plants from a tray, I repot immediately ... or after a day or two ... or a week or two ... or a few months. The longer the plants are left, the more any fine roots will dry out; in hot weather even small plants will last for months, but will lose more roots as time passes; and the smaller the plants, the sooner they will dry out. However, there's no urgency with regard to a few days or even weeks with most cacti or succulents.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Rich45s
BCSS Member

Post by Rich45s »

Cheers guys,

That’s what I hoped for. I’ve also read and I can’t think where now but the advice was not to ‘water in’ repotted
cacti & succulents for a few days so as to give any broken roots time to heal and this stave off rot
BCSS Member 52305
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by D^L »

That is right. I leave cacti and succulents dry for some time after repotting. Inevitably there is some damage to the roots and best to let them heal before water. At this time of year in the UK I wouldn't water until I start the others, so that is likely to be weeks, though it does depend on how big they are and what species.
David Lambie
Bristol
Kees
Registered Guest

Post by Kees »

I bought some bare-rooted austrocacti last year, roots were badly damaged. Plants haven't developed new roots yet. I hope they will this year.
Melocactus roots tend to dry out and die in a short while unless kept moist.
Rich45s
BCSS Member

Post by Rich45s »

Thanks David & Kees.

Handy to get these read about tips confirmed
BCSS Member 52305
Kees
Registered Guest

Post by Kees »

Rich45s wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:12 pm Thanks David & Kees.

I am not sure I understand your above post correctly. If it means you need/want confirmation from a different source please read: "Melocactus, care and cultivation" by George Thomson.
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Cactusgirl »

I'm looking for a book on Melocactus. Is this one a good guide to their care?
Rich45s
BCSS Member

Post by Rich45s »

Kees wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:57 pm
Rich45s wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:12 pm Thanks David & Kees.

I am not sure I understand your above post correctly. If it means you need/want confirmation from a different source please read: "Melocactus, care and cultivation" by George Thomson.
It was mainly thanking you both out of politeness. David’s confirmation was nice to have from my own thoughts and reading. Your initial post went slightly over this inexperienced head of mine. Once I get around to working out what my favourite cacti and succulents are, I may well have a read of the book you kindly recommended

Thanks,

Rich
BCSS Member 52305