Meaning of AFF

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
rodsmith
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Meaning of AFF

Post by rodsmith »

I've just bought a rather attractive gasteria from a garden centre and unusually it has a name tag - Gasteriea aff. bicolor. It looks unlike bicolor and I guess it is a hybrid. Can someone tell me what AFF means in this context please? It will need repotting!
Gasteria aff. bicolor 9 March 2019.JPG
Gasteria aff. bicolor label.JPG
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Meaning of AFF

Post by el48tel »

Rod does ..........
aff., aff., or affin.) is taxonomic terminology in zoology and botany. In open nomenclature it indicates that available material or evidence suggests that the proposed species is related to, has an affinity to, but is not identical to, the species with the binomial name that follows.

fit the bill?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

Looks very like the cultivar/hybrid 'Little Warty'.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

el48tel wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:34 am Rod does ..........
aff., aff., or affin.) is taxonomic terminology in zoology and botany. In open nomenclature it indicates that available material or evidence suggests that the proposed species is related to, has an affinity to, but is not identical to, the species with the binomial name that follows.

fit the bill?
Thanks el48tel. Very useful info.
Diane wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:53 am Looks very like the cultivar/hybrid 'Little Warty'.
Thanks Diane. Looks like you've nailed it.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

'Little Warty' indeed
which is a cross between G. batesiana and another hybrid 'Old Man Silver'.
When 'Little Warty' flowers you will see that it has the splendid "longiflorae" flowers so typical of G. batesiana.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

Thanks Tony. I look forward to it flowering in due course.
Rod Smith

Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Nice plant and very easy to grow, offsets readily and grown by the thousands in Holland which is probably where this one came from, slow growing? - probably not. If it was slow growing and didn't have so many offsets it would probably join the list of sought-after collectable Gasterias.

Stuart
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

Stuart wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:09 am Nice plant and very easy to grow, offsets readily and grown by the thousands in Holland which is probably where this one came from, slow growing? - probably not. If it was slow growing and didn't have so many offsets it would probably join the list of sought-after collectable Gasterias.

Stuart
I did wonder about the "slow growing" description in view of the plant's size and number of offsets. I have a G. bicolor that is smaller than this at over 8 years old.
Rod Smith