Identifying my Oxalis

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Identifying my Oxalis

Post by Paul D »

Can someone who knows more about Oxalis than I do tell me which species this is please?
The rhizome is smooth, carrot like.
Attachments
20190314_145046.jpg
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Identifying my Oxalis

Post by Ali Baba »

Hi Paul
without a bit more detail that would be very difficult.
Is it a weed?
How many leaflets?
What colour are the flowers?
Are the leaves succulent?
cheers :grin:
Paul D
BCSS Trustee

Post by Paul D »

Ali Baba wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:44 am Hi Paul
without a bit more detail that would be very difficult.
Is it a weed?
How many leaflets?
What colour are the flowers?
Are the leaves succulent?
cheers :grin:
Yes a weed, arrived with a shipment of cacti from Germany, growing in nearly every pot. 3 leaflets, leaves not succulent. Pretty sure it's not stricta or corniculata. I'm not going to let them flower! I appreciate there are about 1000 species or so but all of the tuberous ones I've seen have wrinkled or bulbous tubers. A long shot, I know :wink:
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

It is likely to be one of the South American species, e.g. O. megalorrhiza (syn O. carnosa). Here is a quote about this species from Ilife:

"Also it is the only succulent Oxalis in general cultivation that seeds. These are produced in the typical explosive capsules of this genus that ensures the seeds are dispersed up to a few metres from the parent. After Umbilicus rupestris it is the next biggest nuisance in the succulent collections."
Paul D
BCSS Trustee

Post by Paul D »

Terry S. wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:17 am It is likely to be one of the South American species, e.g. O. megalorrhiza (syn O. carnosa). Here is a quote about this species from Ilife:

"Also it is the only succulent Oxalis in general cultivation that seeds. These are produced in the typical explosive capsules of this genus that ensures the seeds are dispersed up to a few metres from the parent. After Umbilicus rupestris it is the next biggest nuisance in the succulent collections."
That looks like the one, thanks Terry.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I actually grow it bonsai style but pinch off the flower buds as soon as I see them.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Ah, the plant I affectionately know as Derek. Nice idea Mike I might just try to keep one as a Bonsai although it is probably a dangerous precedent to set.....and only for the watchful.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch