A convenient thing about Lithops

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

A convenient thing about Lithops

Post by iann »

Scorched to the edge of life one year, show plant the next ...
helmutii-0315.jpg
Cheshire, UK
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: A convenient thing about Lithops

Post by rodsmith »

They can certainly survive in extreme conditions. My lithops localis was scorched in last summer's heat but seems to have survived ok. Is this a current photo, Ian? If so, the new leaves are very well developed for mid March.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

rodsmith wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:21 pm They can certainly survive in extreme conditions. My lithops localis was scorched in last summer's heat but seems to have survived ok. Is this a current photo, Ian? If so, the new leaves are very well developed for mid March.
This was taken today. Some Lithops are this advanced, others are not showing new leaves at all yet. Obviously there is some selection bias, as a Lithops not showing new leaves would not make a good subject :)
Cheshire, UK
jhb
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by jhb »

I love this time of year with my Lithops. Most are starting to split so out comes my magnifying glass to see what the new bodies are going to be like. If there's twins then it's even better. Young plants are starting to show lovely colours. I can spend hours in the greenhouse, sometimes with a g & t, just looking. Long wait for Optica Rubra though.
Jayne H.B.
Growing Mamms, Turbs, Ario`s & a bit of most genera in darkest North Devon. Love Lithops too.Now getting hooked on Haworthia`s & Cono`s.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Regeneration of lithops seems unusually well-advanced this year. I suspect that it is a consequence of the couple of weeks of spring weather that we had in February. Normally, I do not water any lithops before May, but this year I think that I will be able to start earlier with many of them.

If anyone is going to raise lithops from seed, the next month is a good time to sow the seeds and no extra heat is required unless we suddenly get really cold weather.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Terry S. wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:48 am Regeneration of lithops seems unusually well-advanced this year. I suspect that it is a consequence of the couple of weeks of spring weather that we had in February. Normally, I do not water any lithops before May, but this year I think that I will be able to start earlier with many of them.

If anyone is going to raise lithops from seed, the next month is a good time to sow the seeds and no extra heat is required unless we suddenly get really cold weather.
Thanks for the tips
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.