unusual red ariocarpus seedlings

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

unusual red ariocarpus seedlings

Post by Tina »

I noticed these seedlings the other month they seem to be staying red, I don't think it's stress and they have been watered.
If they stay like this I may try to graft them, my other ariocarpus seedlings are normal green coloured, any one had a similar experience
ariocarpus red seedlings 2_19.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH DEVON

Re: unusual red ariocarpus seedlings

Post by Echinocactus123 »

Hello,
unless the species is red in colour this may be a sign that the seedling is receiving slightly too much light, just move it out of very bright light, soon they should return green. Good luck!
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
peter831shaw
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by peter831shaw »

How wet are you keeping those? I have some smaller ones and I have no idea how much to water them.

top watering, bottom, both?

they look great red, lets hope they stay that way!

Peter
Peter Shaw
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi
it's not too much light, I did read that hybrid ariocarpus seedlings are more prone to variegation so I have my fingers crossed that it is just a 'nice odd bunch' of seed. I had it once with variegated agave utahensis seed but they couldn't survive and get past the first junior leaf stage.
These are in my hot greenhouse on a heat mat so can be watered more often and drenched, they came out of their baggie a few months ago and were red when I got them out so are under observation I need to plump up some grafting stock 'just in case'.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

As these are at the four leaf stage, they are obviously getting energy from somewhere. Why graft? They look healthy on their own roots.
I’m an avid grafter of apple trees, but that is to replicate selected forms. I’m not sure you need to graft these.