Is rebutia perplexa self furtile?  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH DEVON
Role within the BCSS: Member

Is rebutia perplexa self furtile?

Post by Echinocactus123 »

Hello,
I have a rebutia perplexa with a few tiny flower buds and I want to try and get some seed, Is rebutia perplexa self fertile?
Many thanks.
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Re: Is rebutia perplexa self furtile?  Solved

Post by esp »

Many Rebutias are self fertile. According the extremely useful key on the ADBLPS seed list, R. perplexa is one of them, so you should be able to get it to self seed.
http://adblps-graines-cactus.com/Graine ... -01-02.pdf
Terry S.

Re: Is rebutia perplexa self furtile?

Post by Terry S. »

Sorry, I can't understand the code in the link - you probably need to know the French abbreviations. What I do know is that I do not see any seed pods on my R. perplexa after it has flowered, as one does see with many self-fertile rebutias. It may be that one has to deliberately transfer pollen within the flowers. However, this species is so prolific with its offsets that it is usually propagated vegetatively.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by esp »

From the ADBLPS list~

1416 perplexa [JCV/92] f -4 à 5-d1-18 10g 0,7€

The f (underlined) shows the species is regarded as self fertile, an "s" would mean self sterile
Mal L
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Mal L »

It is always worth pointing out that if you have more than one Rebutia species, and if pollinators are present, then cross pollination and hybridisation can readily occur in this genus. Being self-fertile does not rule out hybridisation. So unless you, on behalf of the plant, takes precautions then you never know what might happen!
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Agreed Mal. For this reason I discard the mountains of seed the Rebutias produce as there are enough hybrids out there already.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

But as Mal also says 'take precautions' - it also helps to have a compliant wife to make best use of a paintbrush and to 'tag' the pollinated flowers. In this way, I have grown many batches of R. perplexa over the years from my own seed, with no hint of a hybrid.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)