bubble wrap - taking it down (+ autovents)

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
agavedave
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

bubble wrap - taking it down (+ autovents)

Post by agavedave »

Anyone blinked yet and taken their bubble wrap insulation down yet?

I have been leaving the door open a few inches this week (and a few weeks ago) in the day time to keep temperatures in check but I feel the time is right to remove most of the bubble wrap and get the the auto vent openers re installed. I don't normally bother 'til Easter weekend when I have more time to empty it and clean the glass inside and out.

Regards
Dave
Terry S.

Re: bubble wrap - taking it down

Post by Terry S. »

My polythene sheet or bubble stays up all the time. The tiny bit of shading created by this over summer causes no harm and might actually be helpful for most of our plants. Ironically, it is the winter when any shading is detrimental. Perhaps my attitude is governed by the fact that over half my collection is of Mediterranean climate plants and that I hate doing work that may be un-necessary.

However, you have got to get those ventilators working as soon as possible, they were probably needed during our false spring back in February. The ventilator insulation needs to be separate to that under the rest of the glazing.
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Chez2 »

We have polytunnel and have taken the inner tunnel cover off. The inner tunnel was kept warmer than the main tunnel.

We have been ventilating ours with the door part open for a while, its been fully open recently; only one of the four doors though.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Roof autovents working now but starting to show their age, some stick open and have to be forced to shut. Most of the wax cylinders rarely last long, usually two or three years. Anyone have any recommendations for longer lasting ones.
Stuart
WayneM
Registered Guest

Post by WayneM »

I'm with Stuart, frustrated with how long the auto vents last.
Back to using polystyrene blocks to open up the vents.

I'm also in the camp that doesn't take all the bubble wrap off as is will give some shading .

But isn't great that spring is finally here and plants starting to flower

Wayne
agavedave
Registered Guest

Post by agavedave »

Stuart wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:01 pm Roof autovents working now but starting to show their age, some stick open and have to be forced to shut. Most of the wax cylinders rarely last long, usually two or three years. Anyone have any recommendations for longer lasting ones.
Stuart
I have an ancient (unbranded garden center) one that is still going after 10 years, the newest ones are Baylis XL , oldest is > 5 years and still going. For Baylis at least , you can still get spares.

Regards
Dave
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I use twin wall polycarbonate sheets for insulation. They stay up all year.
I also think autovent cylinders have a shorter life than claimed. One last year especially so when the rod got bent in the summer gales....(but the vent was not damaged)
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Keith H »

agavedave wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:24 pm
Stuart wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:01 pm Roof autovents working now but starting to show their age, some stick open and have to be forced to shut. Most of the wax cylinders rarely last long, usually two or three years. Anyone have any recommendations for longer lasting ones.
Stuart
I have an ancient (unbranded garden center) one that is still going after 10 years, the newest ones are Baylis XL , oldest is > 5 years and still going. For Baylis at least , you can still get spares.

Regards
Dave
I have had good service from the Baylis roof vent openers I put in when I built my second hand greenhouse back in 2013. I would like to fit auto openers to the louvre vents in the side walls too but I don't think Baylis do them so would appreciate hearing anyone's experiences good or bad about louvre vent openers.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Re: bubble wrap - taking it down (+ autovents)

Post by Tony R »

I've had mixed results over the years with Bayliss XL vents - I have 14 of them on the various greenhouses.
Some cylinders have lasted 8+ years but others <3 years.
I don't remove them in the winter.
I guess I consider them as part of the 'running costs' along with the heating.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)