Sunburn or worse?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
rca
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Sunburn or worse?

Post by rca »

Hey All,

I think my echinocactus has got sunburn, kicking myself for missing it. Could anyone confirm this is sunburn and not something worse please?

Apologies its quite hard to photograph through its exceptional defenses.

All help greatly appreciated,
Rachel
Attachments
20190323_212703.jpg
20190323_212300.jpg
20190323_212735.jpg
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Sunburn or worse?

Post by Stuart »

Don't think it's scorch, probably cold damage during the winter which is quite common with the white spined E.Grusonii.
Stuart
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

I agree with Stuart. I had the same thing happen several years ago, which is why I no longer grow this species. I think it is a combination of cold and damp. Where do you keep your plant? If in a greenhouse, you need to ensure that the temperature is kept above about 7 or 8 degrees C. Mine used to drop to as low as 3 degrees and this, combined with damp winter weather, is what caused the marking. If there is no recurrence the marks will move to the bottom of your plant as it grows but I would consider an alternative location in the winter, such as indoors.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
rca
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by rca »

Thank you so much - that makes a lot of sense. It has been inside, but on the edge of a bay window so in hindsight probably much too cold.

Really appreaciate your input,
Rachel
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

Mine was happy in the cool of the conservatory even during the worst of the Beast from the East. This winter in the greenhouse it objected to the cool AND damp. No longer a potential show plant.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.