Lots of 3 lobed Lithops lesliei

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
KathyM
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Lots of 3 lobed Lithops lesliei

Post by KathyM »

I planted some Lithops lesliei seeds collected from one of my plants and about 10 of them have 3 lobes instead of 2, about a third of the seedlings. I thought it was the kind of thing that would happen to the odd one, is there a reason there are so many with 3 leaves?
Lithops lesliei seedlings, many with 3 lobes
Lithops lesliei seedlings, many with 3 lobes
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Lots of 3 lobed Lithops lesliei

Post by rodsmith »

I've had a very occasional 3 lobed lithops seedling but it is a very rare event for me. Could be something in the genes of one of the parents of your crop. They will probably revert to normal when leaves are replaced.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Not so rare, but 10 in one pot is unusual. Maybe they are inbred? Maybe you fed them just right. Or just wrong! On adult plants it can be a sign of some stress that the plant couldn't divide properly, or even that it lost half a head. On adults or seedlings, it very rarely lasts for more than a year. Good news is they'll do just fine.
Cheshire, UK
KathyM
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by KathyM »

I only planted about 30 seeds from the capsule and saved the rest, maybe I should plant some more and see how many I end up with.

I had neglected my plants for several years and then started making more of an effort again at the start of 2017, so the parent plant could still have been stressed when it flowered that year.