Echeveria purpusorum propagation

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeDom
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Echeveria purpusorum propagation

Post by MikeDom »

It's flower time, and with it come little leaves on the flower stalk. An offset is also forming as seen in the last photo.

I understand you can propagate from the leaves on the flower stalk. How do you do this and at what stage i.e. now or wait till later when all the flowers are out?

Also, at what time of year would you remove and root the offset, and is there any special treatment needed?

Many thanks

IMG_5104.JPG

IMG_5105.JPG

IMG_5106.JPG

IMG_5102.JPG
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Re: Echeveria purpusorum propagation

Post by ralphrmartin »

Mike

As for rooting the flower stem leaves - they are rather small, and it would take a long time, even if they do root, to make decent sized plants. I reckon a better bet would be to decapitate the plant. The top should root easily enough, and given time, the rooted stalk should throw offsets which will grow rather more quickly due to the large root system.

Going off at a tangent - I'm not convinced that your plant is E. purpusorum. The leaves should be more upright, and more spotty...

Ralph
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

I did not think this is Echeveria purpusorum, either. It is more like Echeveria 'Dionysos' a hybrid with another Echeveria species. It seems to be lacking light, which is why the leaves are laying flat. With better light, more sun, it would grow in a more upright manner.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

JP always advises that if you are going to use the leaves from the flower stem you take them off early. I have had some success with E lauii using stem leaves although they are prone to desiccating and would put the success rate at around 25%.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

Mike P wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:40 am JP always advises that if you are going to use the leaves from the flower stem you take them off early. I have had some success with E lauii using stem leaves although they are prone to desiccating and would put the success rate at around 25%.
This makes sense, presumably remove the leaves as soon as they get to full size.
I've got an E. lauii about to flower from the first time from seed, I'll give it a go. I was thinking as soon as the first couple of flowers are out, I'll get a couple of photos, then attack the flower spike..
This method is often recommended for E. lauii, I guess because it is slow growing, doesn't offset profusely (and lends itself to leaving intact as a speciment plant), and has much larger leaves on the inflorescence than many other Echeverias, including the plant in this thread.
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

I have often rooted the flower stem leaves from E. lauii, for propagation, but only a proportion usually succeed in rooting down.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!