Seedling help

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Brian
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Seedling help

Post by Brian »

This sowing made 17th February, assortment of BCSS list. They have been planted in sealed plastic pots, on warm base half the day in a propagator.

There is a second pot I dare not post!

They seemed fine until I opened up today for a peep. Those white seedlings were lovely green a couple of days ago.

Too warm? Why and help!!!
Attachments
D6994E31-151C-40E0-9EAE-2A6C530B6030.jpeg
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Re: Seedling help

Post by esp »

Does the container get direct sun at any time? That could cause the inside of a sealed container to heat up dramatically.
Brian
BCSS Member

Post by Brian »

Thanks for the comment. On Thursday or Friday there is a chance there was direct sun for the first time, just peeking through but not for long. The seedling were put in a nice bright light in the conservatory, it’s possible the sun peeked through and my suspicion was as suggested, baked seedling but not entirely sure. The conservatory was certainly hot for the first time this year so sealed in a plastic container on a gently heated pad ..... hmmm ... I’ve no doubt answered my question.

Growing from seed is so rewarding but such a precise exercise. I’ve been trying it on and off for ten years or more, slightly different methods and wonder if I will ever learn. :roll:
AnTTun
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by AnTTun »

Light levels might have something to do with your problem but... I had same thing happening to my seedlings under artificial light... I still have no clue why they've turned white (and died) because the light was the same all the time. Sorry I can't help, my conclusion was something like 'it has to happen sometimes'.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Brian
BCSS Member

Post by Brian »

Thank you AnTTun, some consolation that it happens elsewhere. Either too hot or too bright or both is my best conclusion. I don’t think it is the sealed container scenario per se as I have used thAt method successfully in the past. :roll: :roll: