Mamm. perezdelarosae

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Mamm. perezdelarosae

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi all, I have grown this plant for many years now. It looks very well and flowers this time every year without fail. I cannot get it to grow any bigger, or even offset what ever I do. Re potting every few years sees little improvement. May use a different compost this year. Any growing tips and pics of mature plant would be welcome. Thanks
Last edited by Tony R on Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected spelling in Subject Line
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Mamm. perezdelarosea

Post by Paul D »

Here's mine, I've had for 7 or 8 years from seedlings.
Attachments
20190403_114240.jpg
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Diane »

Those are ssp. andersonii aren't they, Paul? Looking good I must say!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Paul D »

Diane wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:20 pm Those are ssp. andersonii aren't they, Paul? Looking good I must say!
Thanks :) I'm not sure about the taxonomy of these, but yes, it's the version with straight spines rather than hooked.
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

One of the plants I'm struggling with. For some reason they just keep on dying. Next one I acquire will get grafted ASAP...
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Ssp. perezdelarosae in February.
perezdelarosae-0215.jpg
Still flowering today
perezdelarosae-0403.jpg
This subspecies has hooked spines and is quite large, tall even. I find it vigorous. Ssp. andersoniae has straight spines, is smaller, and has more of a tendency to clump.
andersoniae-0403.jpg
Not flowering yet this year, but here it is in May last year, so these are completely adult plants.
andersoniana-0514.jpg
I can't point to anything special that I do to grow these. As much light as possible to keep them compact and attractive. Ssp. perezdelarosae in particular will stretch with generous treatment in low light.
Cheshire, UK
LHMBB
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by LHMBB »

Mine has just formed its first offset at 15 years from seed and is now starting to list
mp..png
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks all. Some exellent looking plants being grown here. Strange how younger plants look better than others some time. The last pic by lhmbb is comparable to mine which is about the same age. I have to be more patient lol. Cheers
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Here is my
image.jpeg
16 year old plant without even one offset yet. It's started to lean as per above plant. Could be a sign of an offset lol. Cheers
Astro
Registered Guest

Re: Mamm. perezdelarosae

Post by Astro »

Mine took a lot of abuse this winter. Soaked, tangled in shade cloth and on the ground in the rain for a month (while I was wondering where it had disappeared to). It decided to forgo flowers but otherwise none the worse for wear.

It's probably about 10 years old now, and has been leaning at an ever increasing angle over the past few years. It's close to 45 degrees now, so it may be time for a repot.