A curious case of lost areoles!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
BarbusBarbus
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

A curious case of lost areoles!

Post by BarbusBarbus »

Hi all,

I have a stenocereus thurberi in my collection - its just a baby. Last year it sustained some physical damage at the base (I dropped it!), and unfortunately this damage developed rot so I had to cut the top off and reroot it. All went well, it developed new roots and grew a little at the end of last summer. Over winter its been kept dry on an indoor south facing windowsill.

I've just started waking my collection up for the growing season, & the stenocereus has been sluggish. When I examined it closer some of the areoles fell off fully intact with hardly a touch! I've taken it out of the pot now to have a closer look. Interestly the areoles have only fallen off on one side, the other side they are firmly attached. I thought it may be sun exposure, but there's no indication of scorch, etc. The roots appear healthy, apart from the tips of 2 roots are red in colour - I've not seen this before. I can find no evidence of pests. Please see photos for more detail.

Does anybody know why this might have happened? & I'm making the assumption that the areoles will not regrow, unless anyone knows different?

Thanks,
Alex
Attachments
IMG_5163.JPG
IMG_5162.JPG
IMG_5161.JPG
IMG_5160.JPG
IMG_5159.JPG
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Re: A curious case of lost areoles!

Post by Tina »

Use PVA glue and you can stick them back on safely.
We don't want nudity on here :eek:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

There is no damaged tissue on the tubercles so this just has to be physical abrasion. There is not even any callous tissue on the tips of the tubercles, so this has only just happened. With some cactus species, it does not require much to break away the spine clusters. Your plant will grow to 3 - 4 metres tall so damage like this at the base is inconsequential.

Surely Tina, the only modest cerei are espostoas and oreocerei?
Mal L
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Mal L »

I doubt that there is anything to worry about Alex. The area where the spine clusters have come off seems to be undamaged and perfectly healthy. Probably they were initially loosened during the initial plant drop, and/or during your cutting off of the top for re-rooting. As the cutting rooted, took up water and started to grow, the swelling of the plant has probably completed the job of shedding them. They will not re-grow, but as the plant gets bigger you will notice it less and less.
If you are aesthetically offended by the spine loss, you can indeed follow Tina's (humourous) suggestion.You will not harm the plant by doing so.
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

I agree. Worry not. When it grows in your collection to seven or eight metres height the loss of a few areoles at the base won't be an issue. ;-)
BarbusBarbus
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by BarbusBarbus »

Thanks for your replies - I hadn't thought about physical damage as a cause as it wasn't obvious I'd damaged the spines when I dropped it! It does look a bit 'naked' now however, & sadly I've already disposed of the lost spines so the superglue idea is a no go!lol! I think I'll have to grow it with its back against a wall...I've got to save the neighbours blushes somehow (...Tina I'm looking at you!)

Thanks again,

Alex
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

:oops: :lol: :lol: lucky neighbours, not superglue PVA, some plants spines are attached very loosely so it's useful to have.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.