Limp Christmas Cactus

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ava
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Limp Christmas Cactus

Post by Ava »

This Christmas Cactus (I'm too tired to remember the proper name, even the first part), bought in December last year, started looking a bit droopy a couple of months ago. I unpotted it and the roots looked fine, if short - it did split into many parts, though. I've repotted them, waited a while and then watered them, but they just don't look healthy. The leaves seem limp and there's a slight wrinkling as if they aren't hydrating properly. I can't see any obvious signs of pests.
IMG_20190404_181813.jpg
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Limp Christmas Cactus

Post by esp »

They aren't hydrating properly. Some combination of small/ no / dead roots, and/or underwatering.
The stems look healthy, if there is no sign of rot of the bottom segment, just give them a bit more water and they should sort themselves out. They look they are in a very porous compost (pure cat litter?) so could handle frequent watering over the warmer part of the year.

ETA - is that radiator turned on? If so, that situation would dry most plants out in a flash.
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by D^L »

I agree almost emtorely with esp. These forest cacti like humid conditions and much more water than the desert ones. It looks like the roots aren't thete or are not working. If the radiator in on they will struggle with the dry heat. If that is largely seramis as soil it will need to be kept damp.
Cheers
David Lambie
Ava
Registered Guest

Post by Ava »

Oh, I feel like such an idiot. Poor things. They've been thoroughly watered and moved from that windowsill. Thanks.
Jethro558

Post by Jethro558 »

Mine is similar so will try to keep it watered.
My question would be, how can I provide a humid environment for the cactus in my living room?
Ava
Registered Guest

Post by Ava »

Jethro558 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:47 pm Mine is similar so will try to keep it watered.
My question would be, how can I provide a humid environment for the cactus in my living room?
I think that's more optimal but not necessary. That said, I suppose you could get a humidifier and put it next to that?
Jethro558

Post by Jethro558 »

Ok thanks for the help
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Jethro558 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:47 pm My question would be, how can I provide a humid environment for the cactus in my living room?
Get a saucer or tray rather larger than the pot size, put a good layer of gravel in, place pot on top, and keep the saucer topped up with water. The water level can be below the top of the gravel = pot base, but gives a moist microclimate.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

My December Lidl acquisition has also become flaccid during the last 24 hours. My inference was the sunlight on a partially heated sunroom had caused this. Yet the two cuttings I had potted up in December which sat adjacent on the sill were in a smaller pot and quite fleshy and producing new growth.
The only difference between the pots which I can see is that the Netherlands(?) grown original is in nearly pure peat whereas my cuttings are in a 50 50 mix of John Innes number 2 with large grit. My inference from this is that peat will dry out as fast as it will absorb. Once dry it is difficult to rehydrate.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Ava
Registered Guest

Post by Ava »

Mine is dead.

Moved it in the early hours yesterday to a nice south-facing windowsill, went out to a cafe for a few hours around 10am, got back and found it browned by the sun, draped over the pot as if in the middle of an escape attempt, smelling of partially-cooked cabbage.