First Mammillaria of the year?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Christian
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD

First Mammillaria of the year?

Post by Christian »

Not the best picture, admittedly...

Mamm senilis white.jpg
Mamm senilis white.jpg (132.19 KiB) Viewed 1505 times

I am getting rather fond of Mammillaria. Of those I have got, Mammillaria senilis tends to be the earliest. Not the greatest crop of flowers this year, my red one gives flowering a miss this year, but at least the white form obliges. It grows in the greenhouse on my allotment - no winter heat, the first splash of water last week.
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: First Mammillaria of the year?

Post by Diane »

Very nice Christian! My white one hasn't opened yet. Interested to know that your red one is not flowering this year - I have an old large plant that usually puts out a few flowers, but it too, is devoid of buds this year. A smaller one looks as though it will have a couple of flowers very soon. Wonder if it wasn't cold enough this winter? Even though mine are in a heated greenhouse.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Lots of red buds on several plants here, although I was worried they might not have had enough of a chill. No white ones, although they might be better at hiding. Always early, but definitely not the first for me. M. lasiacantha, M. perezdelarosae, M. carmenae, and M. pectinifera are all in flower (or finished!) already.
Cheshire, UK
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I noticed an April 2017 sown Mammillaria hernandezi is flowering for me...!
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I must have a dozen or more Mams in full flower already, but always struggle to get senilis to bloom. Is low temperature the key? If so, how cool?
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

It can take freezing, coming from high altitude mountainous regions, but it does need plenty of winter sun, and can be somewhat temperamental to get into flower.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Christian
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Christian »

I've had my two M. senilis in this greenhouse for perhaps five years now. They don't seem to mind the frost, and they will receive all the sun we get here in Brum during the winter. Yes, maybe it was not quite cold or sunny enough...

Then again, others grow these with a little bit of heat and still flower them. Their greenhouse might lose the sun altogether from October through the winter, and they still get flowers. I have a red and a white plant on the same top shelf right next to one another. One flowers, the other one doesn't. Compost is the same, they get watered at the same time -- I do wonder what induces flowering in these! Buds do form very early, I can usually see them by December or even earlier.

Nice to know that there are some other early ones to look out for. On my return from work I found this one in flower, with a second plant not far off flowering too: Mammillaria sanchez-mejoradae. No water yet as the nights are still so cold and they are only in a garden frame, but some misting.

46666562235_9fd6e68d47_z.jpg
46666562235_9fd6e68d47_z.jpg (133 KiB) Viewed 1350 times

Your seedling is fast getting down to business, Aiko!
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Christian wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:58 pm Your seedling is fast getting down to business, Aiko!
Exactly what I thought too! I do get nice compact plants, but everything goes slow for me. I do have many 2001 sown Thelocactus which are grown hard and are really nice and compact looking, but hardly any of them have flowered. So I am not really used to easy flowering plants sown myself...
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:21 pm I noticed an April 2017 sown Mammillaria hernandezi is flowering for me...!
It's an Mammillaria sanchez-mejorade. I remembered it incorrectly. Silly, as my adult M. hernandezi flowers in autumn.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

No problems with the red M. senilis
senilis-0422.jpg
Cheshire, UK