Aeonium propagation question

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Aeonium propagation question

Post by el48tel »

My daughter posed this question ....
We've managed to take stem cuttings ... but is it possible to propagate from single leaf cuttings?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Re: Aeonium propagation question

Post by topsy »

Hi,

I have known of only one species which has produced new plants from leaves and that is A.tabulaeforme but not from any other species. However if you want to try others then there is no harm but take the oldest and plumpest leaves to experiment with and like Echeveria leaves, make sure that the leaf is not damaged where it joins the main stem. The most likely species for this experiment is A.nobile.

Suzanne
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Suzanne
Thanks ... I will pass it on. We're scheduled to go on a buying mission in a few weeks time and will seek out said species. In the meantime I think the top-heavy Zwartkop she has may be destined for a trim .... all in the interests of science, of course.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
KathyM
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by KathyM »

I've never tried Aeonium leaf cuttings but a few months ago I planted some leaves of one of their relatives, Aichryson tortuosum. The plantlet is so cute.
Aichryson tortuosum RRM16
Aichryson tortuosum RRM16
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Kathy
Thanks.
It's obviously worth a try.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

el48tel wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:18 am We've managed to take stem cuttings ... but is it possible to propagate from single leaf cuttings?
Rudolf Schulz's book Aeonium in habitat and cultivation suggests that leaf cuttings are sraightforward, provided that you get the leaf base off the stem undamaged. He advises that the oldest leaves rarely root, but the mid-aged leaves root best. Leave for a 2-3 weeks to dry, only put onto damp compost once roots have formed.

Aeonium in habitat and cultivation is highly recommended if you have any interest in Aeoniums.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

MikeT wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:10 pm
el48tel wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:18 am We've managed to take stem cuttings ... but is it possible to propagate from single leaf cuttings?
Rudolf Schulz's book Aeonium in habitat and cultivation suggests that leaf cuttings are sraightforward, provided that you get the leaf base off the stem undamaged. He advises that the oldest leaves rarely root, but the mid-aged leaves root best. Leave for a 2-3 weeks to dry, only put onto damp compost once roots have formed.

Aeonium in habitat and cultivation is highly recommended if you have any interest in Aeoniums.
Mike - thanks for the information.
I will try the method you suggest.
The book seems out of print - seeing Keith Larkin soon at a Plant Fair so will ask him directly
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

I have come across several instances of leaf propagation recently. The advice I picked up is that the thicker leaves varieties work best. A tabuliforme are quite thin leaved, so if they work they should all work. Patience and keeping them cool and shaded is probably the best way to succeed. I have tried and not succeeded yet.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Liz M wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:57 am ........ I have tried and not succeeded yet.
Liz ... that made me chuckle ... but I take encouragement from "yet"

I shall be giving it a try.