Guess the Lithops

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Guess the Lithops

Post by iann »

Three different cultivars, three different species, all looking very similar in the sun today
red-0411.jpg
And these?
green-0411.jpg
Cheshire, UK
Astro
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Guess the Lithops

Post by Astro »

Hmmm let's have a guess...

Sato's Violet, optica rubra (? not 100% sure about this one, or is it the rubra x herrei) and Hammeruby

fulviceps aurea, lesliei ventergreen, lesliei albinica/albinigold or one of those all-look-same

Not three different species for the last triad, but I'm hedging my bets.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Within the world of succulents, I more and more find the different Lithops cultivars and their differences dodgy. There are so many, and really, what makes them different besides a name that helps selling? I can't tell them apart, even on species level. And to be honest, I really don't care to be able to. I am at that stage that a difference between individual plant for me is just that it is grey, brown, red, purple or green... So in the above, I see three purple ones, two green ones and one yellowish green one that apparently can't handle the sun intensity.

They are nice plants, but I still don't get the craze some people are putting themselves into regarding these plants. Guess I am more of a "other mesembs" type.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

You must be slipping, Astro, you got one wrong :shock: I'll give it a while to see if anyone can guess which, maybe even pick a different name.

Nothing wrong with the yellow one, Aiko. That's just the colour it is. I prefer the properly green green ones, but I like the red ones even more. I promise they don't usually look quite so all-the-same, just at that stage of growth on that day. Here's a properly bilious one for you, 'Green Soapstone'.
soapstone-290312.jpg
Cheshire, UK
kvb
Registered Guest

Post by kvb »

Sato's Violet for the first. The others Betty's Beryl/Ventergreen/Sorm's Albinigold or Albinigold depending on flowercolor.

Nice plants

Chris
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

As guessed:
'Sato's Violet' (Bacchus)
L. optica 'Rubra'
'Hammeruby'
'Betty's Beryl'
Ventergreen
'Albinigold' (although I haven't seen flowers yet)

I thought it would be harder ... maybe next time :mrgreen:
Cheshire, UK