Blue sticky fly traps

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Blue sticky fly traps

Post by Paul D »

I've used both yellow and pale blue sticky fly papers to keep an eye on things in the greenhouse, both quite successful. I've just received a pack of blue ones bought from Amazon, but surprised to see they are dark blue in colour. Made in China. Are dark blue ones at all effective? Should I send them back? Intuition suggests dark blue is not going to be attractive to thrips :/
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Blue sticky fly traps

Post by el48tel »

"Intuition suggests dark blue is not going to be attractive to thrips" -- an interesting hypothesis. I'd contemplated purchasing other colours to the yellow variety since the yellow ones in my greenhouse are already looking like the full specimen cabinets at the Natural History Museum, and I'd read that the yellow sheets caught insects "selectively". Insects see wavelengths of light other than the visible, and the reflectance of the sheets you describe may be in the near UV -- is a spectral data sheet available from the supplier?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Paul D »

I appreciate that insects see a different spectrum- it was the darkness of the shade that I wasn't expecting (i.e. not reflecting as much light). But, as you say, perhaps they reflect outside the visible spectrum. Has anyone here used dark blue traps successfully?
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Sorry Paul, I have used both yellow and pale blue, but have never seen them in dark blue.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON

Post by Geoff Lovell »

I catch all I want to with yellow.
Founder member BCSS # 32426,
Growing Cacti and Succulents for over 40 years,
mixed collection but prefer succulents particularly caudiciforms.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Blue traps are more attractive than yellow for Western Flower Thrips. However, the ones that I have used in the past were more of a mid-blue than a dark blue.
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi Paul,

You may as well try them as you have them. They will probably fade in the sunlight quite quickly and become the shade of blue we are more used to.

Suzanne
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

I now only use blue sticky traps in my greenhouse in the winter when the vents are closed but WFT are still very active. Blue attracts several species of native bees, and I don't like seeing them trapped
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

The reason for yellow (which I read many years ago) is that insects see yellow as new plant growth and are attracted to it. In one of my greenhouses I had a whitefly infestation on my caudiciform pelargoniums and bought encarsia wasps to eradicate the whitefly. As the wasps are only a millimetre or so in size, I put a fine bright yellow insect net across the door to keep the encarsia from escaping. As I was putting the net up, whitefly were coming off the plants and sitting on the net. Luckily the encarsia did their job; no more whitefly.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).