Pinquiculas

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Pinquiculas

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi all, as I use a strict pest control regime in the green house. Would my pings. benefit being grown out doors (weather permitting). I am assuming there would be more natural food available in the fresh air. Thanks
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Pinquiculas

Post by MikeDom »

Yes, weather permitting, but watch out for birds that think it's fun to root around in the compost.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

I have the same experience with birds. Try to put something around the pots, so it is not so easy for birds to get neat the pots. It doesn't have to be right as a prison, but at least have something in the way of birds hopping towards the pots. The don't like barriers, even small ones.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by Ali Baba »

It depends on the sort of pings you grow I think. I keep my Mexican pings in the greenhouse all year round. I would be concerned that they would get battered by summer storms and coated in dust on dry windy days. I have only had problems with birds with plants grown in sphagnum which I don’t use for pings. If you are worried about their diet stick them by an open vent or door, they will soon get some food 😀
Attachments
4BF9FF41-B683-44A3-8CAF-E45A17779EA5.jpeg
MikeDom
BCSS Member

Post by MikeDom »

Slightly off topic, but I used to find baby Lithops lying on the soil in the greenhouse with their roots intact. I caught the culprit in the act one day - it was a robin. Seems he thought it was hilarious to visit every day and pull them up; they weren't damaged at all. He didn't seem to mind being caught and put outside either, despite the stern telling off, coming back to do the same on most days. Had to put some netting over the pots in the end.

I wouldn't worry too much about feeding the Mexican butterworts. I grow mine in 4 parts moss peat, 2 parts JI No. 2, 1 part sand, and have done so successfully for the past 40 years, as per the guru Adrian Slack. The odd fungus gnat now and again is plenty. Repotting happens most years in winter to divide the winter rosette so they get fresh soil.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks for all the great and informative replies. I don't know if my plants are Mexican or not. Would a pic. of them in flower help ? Cheers
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Going by a pic. found on the net, the flowers resemble P moranensis ? Cheers
SCS
Branch: None

Post by SCS »

Hi Eric-

An excellent reference for any CP is here: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/grow/guides

It will help you identify which Pings you have. :cool:

Best regards, Lisa
Best regards, Lisa
MikeDom
BCSS Member

Post by MikeDom »

Hi Eric,

Some photos I took this morning that might help. This is Pinguicula moranensis var. caudata, probably the most common and certainly a prolific gnat catcher. These pictures are of 2 brothers from a plant I divided in January whilst in it's winter rosette i.e. dormant with no roots. You can see they are just coming into growth.

IMG_5130.JPG

IMG_5129.JPG

The plants will grow to a diameter of 4 - 6 inches this year, and it's that large surface area that helps catch the gnats. You can see they are forming offsets and they will need dividing again next winter when dormant, plenty of giveaways here! This was stimulated I believe by removing 4 of the lowest thick winter rosette leaves to propagate as leaf cuttings. You can't remove too many or you kill the plant.

IMG_5135.JPG

IMG_5131.JPG

IMG_5134.JPG

IMG_5133.JPG
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Nice one Mike, great info. That's a good growth rate I must say. Mine never get near that, could be as I am growing 4-5 plants in a 6inch bowl. Should I pot them up singly ? I will get a pic some time today. Thanks