Soil mixes

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
dazzy2000
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD

Soil mixes

Post by dazzy2000 »

Hi I'm 3 years into growing cactus's and succulents and starting to get a great collection. I currently use a mix of 1x JI No2, 1x Silver sand and 1x cat litter. I would like to ask if this is a good combination and what is everyone else using.
Thanks
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Soil mixes

Post by Phil_SK »

Hi, I've moved your thread as it's very much on topic. :)
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by MikeDom »

Hi, I would substitute sharp sand for the silver sand, as the silver sand is too fine and reduces aeration in the soil. Otherwise your mix is fine.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
dazzy2000
BCSS Member

Post by dazzy2000 »

Thanks for the replies. Would the mix be suitable for all cactus and succulents or does it need tweeking for different types.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

dazzy2000 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:31 pm Thanks for the replies. Would the mix be suitable for all cactus and succulents or does it need tweeking for different types.
Tweaking certainly can benefit some species, but if you don't know which species, I would not bother much. Knowing when and when not to water is much more important!
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Dazzy, if that recipe is working for you then stick to it. I just tend to use a mixture of John Innes No. 3 and a coarse granite grit (particle size averaging 4mm) that is available under several brand names. The tweaking is to use about 2:1 JI/grit for easy growing plants such as Notocactus or Echinopsis, but adjusting to 1:1 for trickier plants such as Ariocarpus, Haworthia and all the winter-growers. I only use a fine grit for seed raising and rooting cuttings.

The tricky part is finding a good brand of John Innes compost! I suspect that is why some people are migrating to the use of purely mineral media such as moler or pumice.
dazzy2000
BCSS Member

Post by dazzy2000 »

Thank you for all your advice. I often hear about grit, is this available from garden centres and a special type. I have come across the chicken grit on Ebay. Is this the same type that everyone is using?
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MalcolmP2 »

dazzy2000 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:36 pm Thank you for all your advice. I often hear about grit, is this available from garden centres and a special type. I have come across the chicken grit on Ebay. Is this the same type that everyone is using?
You will find grit suitable for potting mixes in garden centres, usually labeled " Horticultural Grit" or similar.

Avoid the chicken stuff unless you take care to get a particular kind - there are basically two types, a hard grit such as flint etc which is ok for potting (it is insoluble, and the chicken use it in their gizzard for grinding the food).
The second type contains calcium, soft and soluble for making the eggshells and is not generally suitable for potting composts (ok for plants that grow in chalk conditions though !)
General purpose chicken grit [edit : Oh! does that make 3 types :) ] contains a mix of both, so best avoided.

My local garden centre has several types and grades of horticultural grit including Cornish granite, like Terry S mentions.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I use "Horticultural Coarse grit" under the Arthur Bowers label. But I have also seen it under the Silvaperl and Westland brand names. I actually get both my JI and Grit from the local Allotment Society but you should be able to get the coarse grit from most garden centres at about £4 for a 25kg bag.

I note that you are in Birmingham, so I suggest you investigate Ashwood Nursery which is not far from Stourbridge. They have a good range of compost ingredients but most interestingly, they have their own brand of JI that they claim is made to the original formula. Birmingham Branch members might be able to tell you more about it. I would certainly be trying it if I lived in the area.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Terry S. wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:16 am I use "Horticultural Coarse grit" under the Arthur Bowers label. But I have also seen it under the Silvaperl and Westland brand names. I actually get both my JI and Grit from the local Allotment Society but you should be able to get the coarse grit from most garden centres at about £4 for a 25kg bag. Well graded and little dust.
Kelkay also has a good range of grits, now marketed as the 'Royal Horticultural Society Gardeners Collection', similar price, becoming available in many good garden centres down here:

grit.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)