Any concerns with these species in unheated greenhouse?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Brian
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Any concerns with these species in unheated greenhouse?

Post by Brian »

I know you say you are not planning to heat or insulate the greenhouse. However insulation is very inexpensive and not that much effort to put up for winter. Long run I suggest save up for running electricity to the greenhouse, I have never regretted it.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Please don't accuse me of being critical ... this question is being asked genuinely. I'm told that cacti and succulents do not cope with hot dry stagnant air ... nor do they like cold damp stagnant air. I'm told that the best way of solving both of these conditions is to use a fan unit. So why not buy a low heat fan unit?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

el48tel wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:27 am Please don't accuse me of being critical ... this question is being asked genuinely. I'm told that cacti and succulents do not cope with hot dry stagnant air ... nor do they like cold damp stagnant air. I'm told that the best way of solving both of these conditions is to use a fan unit. So why not buy a low heat fan unit?
Best solution is to open the door and windows. If you're not around all the time to do that, then automatic vents and fans are the only alternative.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

habanerocat wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:26 am
el48tel wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:27 am Please don't accuse me of being critical ... this question is being asked genuinely. I'm told that cacti and succulents do not cope with hot dry stagnant air ... nor do they like cold damp stagnant air. I'm told that the best way of solving both of these conditions is to use a fan unit. So why not buy a low heat fan unit?
Best solution is to open the door and windows. If you're not around all the time to do that, then automatic vents and fans are the only alternative.
Habanerocat ..... exactly my set up .... but auto vents might not be for all
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

habanerocat wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:26 am Best solution is to open the door and windows. If you're not around all the time to do that, then automatic vents and fans are the only alternative.
Not really needed from my experience. I only visit my greenhouse about once a week. I have four top windows open all the time between late March and November. I have two big bricks on each side of the panes to keep them open. And during warm weeks I also open up the main door (but put a mesh in front to prevent birds from hopping in). Only when storms might appear, I close the windows on the wind side.