The best advice .... is to be ignored

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

The best advice .... is to be ignored

Post by el48tel »

DSCN2363.JPG
I was told by several "experts" to bin this Mammillaria, the name of which I knew not because it was not growing properly. Or I should cut the top off and try to get it to pup.
Having now seen lots of pictures of plants in the wild at BCSS meetings which were more deformed than this one AND since finding this plant about to flower its way to glory, I'm so glad I didn't listen to the advice.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Re: The best advice .... is to be ignored

Post by iann »

Looks about perfect from that angle :)
Cheshire, UK
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Nice, Terry. I hope we can see a pic when it is in full ring of flowers.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Iann ... as a photographer I've been trained to find the most flattering angle ... you wouldn't want to see it from its poor angle.
Alan .... your wish is my command ... 'twil be done should she perform during the next few days.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Mammillaria spinosissima Uno Pico, looking very good from this angle. If the base is so bad, then beheading will encourage offsets from the base, but you can also root the top. That way you get one new plant plus offsets to root later. Definitely deserves more than the bin.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Kees
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Kees »

I love my Un Pico. It starts flowering early and in summer when I put it outside it will flower again.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

I have two plants acquired by different means .... and both would not make the show bench. The one currently in flower is a young plant which lost its adjoining stem. The other was a rescue plant which exudes gunk from between the aereoles. Am I going to bin them or decapitate them? I think not.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

DSCN2366.JPG
Getting closer - won't see any more flowers tomorrow possibly
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

PSX_20190426_155339.jpg
The excitement is amazing. Never had a plant ever that has captured me in this way ..... and as a first time cactus enthusiast .... the waiting is killing me