Removal of spiders from the greenhouse

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
gerald
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Removal of spiders from the greenhouse

Post by gerald »

In one corner of my greenhouse I have what I think is a spider that's producing some thick and persistent webbing.

I say I 'think' it's a spider, because I haven't actually been able to find or see it.

The webbing is covering several plants and appears back as quickly as I remove it. It's very fine, dense, and quite strong too.

Any ideas what it can be, and how to get rid?
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Removal of spiders from the greenhouse

Post by rodsmith »

Almost certainly a spider and unless you can get rid of the individual it will continue to renew its webbing. I would usggest removing all pots from the corner that it occupies while watching out for movement from the spider as you do so. A second pair of eyes looking in from outside or a different angle would be useful here. Then if you haven't seen the culprit, ideally leave the pots outside for a day or so. The spider will either show itself by spinning another web or go off to find pastures new (hopefully not in your greenhouse).
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Spiders catch and dispose of insects .... so why would you want to be rid of FREE and totally natural pest control. Or am I being too naive about this?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

YES and NO. I do like having spiders around and appreciate the fact they are carnivorous. I even enjoy watching them at work. But when they spin webs around a hook-spined mammillaria or my favourite toothy haworthia, I am not particularly enamoured with the prospect of trying to brush the webs away.

Incidentally, has anyone observed spiders devouring mealy bug, WFT or sciarid?
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

It may be a False Widow spider ( Steatoda species). They make rather untidy webs spreading over plants. I have these, and clearing the webs is a nuisance, but I appreciate their predatory habits, so don't attempt to get rid of them.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN

Post by habanerocat »

As far as I have been able to find out, spiders do not prey on RSM. So they are of no use in that department. Unfortunately I have also read that RSMs use spiders webs as super highways to travel around, so they are a big no for me.

I have a nasty little spider colony in my greenhouse at the moment. Black, about 2-3mm long. Very industrial little fellows that produce masses of strong single webs from plant to plant. They are on the "most wanted" list at the moment.
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

Yes normally I don't mind them - so long as they make their webs UNDER the staging!

So I'll do as Rod suggests and see what I can come up with