Gardeners world (UK TV show)

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
davisan1
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Gardeners world (UK TV show)

Post by davisan1 »

Gardeners world tonight, BBC2, 8.30-930 is partly from Kew about cacti and succulents and their care

"With the increasing popularity of houseplants, Nick Bailey spends the day at Kew exploring their cacti and succulent collection to find out more about how we should take care of them"
Andy Davis - growing orchids, cacti and succulents since 1983
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Gardeners world (UK TV show)

Post by el48tel »

Let's hope the programme quality is better than of late.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Thanks for the tip.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

el48tel wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:00 pm Let's hope the programme quality is better than of late.
I've stopped watching it but will switch on for this evening's show. I find that Monty Don regurgitates the same stuff year after year; which is ok if you haven't seen it before...
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
jhb
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by jhb »

Just seen the piece from Kew. Just the 1 Lithops. Fairly basic stuff I thought but it might encourage some people to buy some plants, hopefully they may then become addicted........like us :ban: :ban: :lol:
Jayne H.B.
Growing Mamms, Turbs, Ario`s & a bit of most genera in darkest North Devon. Love Lithops too.Now getting hooked on Haworthia`s & Cono`s.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

It was pretty dull old stuff.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Better than the past 2 weeks.
Ok the old hands may have found the C&S material "boring" but as a newbie I found it reassuring. May have encouraged a few to try. My wife who knows nothing about my hobby found it interesting .... that may be a sign.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

About 16 minutes into programme https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... -episode-8
gardeners world 20190426.JPG
about 8 minutes on national TV must be good but didn't notice any mention of BCSS (will have to watch it again on iPlayer)
gardeners world 20190426 2.JPG
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

I thought the C&S section fairly pedestrian, but expected nothing more and it wasn't bad. But I must admit I found far more interesting (not to mention relevant to today's big issues) the programme segments on plastic pots. So thanks again davisan1 for drawing this to our attention.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

No mention of the society and they could have found a more worthy presenter for that section. Still better than nothing I suppose......
I’m pretty sure that the geography was a little off for Mammillaria geminispina? Or maybe I misheard what was said.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch