Enjoying the sun and warmth today

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ernie
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Enjoying the sun and warmth today

Post by Ernie »

These have been outside for about 4 weeks. Some quite cold mornings but they all seem fine.
DSCN6468.JPG
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
dazzy2000
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Re: Enjoying the sun and warmth today

Post by dazzy2000 »

They look great Ernie. I was a bit worried about mine so leaving indoors for another week.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Very nice selection there Ernie, bet they enjoy the sun as much as we do. Will they be left out for the Summer ? or fine days only. Cheers
Ernie
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE

Post by Ernie »

Thank you. I will leave them out for the summer. I am still learning how to look after Aeoniums and found the recent BCSS leaflet useful. When I had my previous collections I only had a couple of them including a david bramwelli that I managed to get to flower. That plant spent a lot time outside except winter and I think it helped.
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

If the taller black plants are" Zwartcopf" you don't really want them to flower ( although the flowers are gorgeous) as that particular stem will die. So if you are producing off sets look after them, they will come in handy lol. Cheers ps my plant was three and a half feet high before it flowered.
cactusrogerUK
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by cactusrogerUK »

Good evening gentlemen.

Yes I've given some of my Aeoniums some early action in the sun this year. A word of caution, though, if you are new(ish) to these succulents (or even if you're not!). If they are left outside during a hailstorm the whole lot will end up covered with little pockmark scars which spoil the beautiful rosettes for the rest of the season. I had some super 20cm wide Aeonium 'Sunburst' heads ruined a few years back - took two years to regain their unspoiled beauty. (Have you seen the soppy price those get on eBay?) Unfortunately, hail can fall at any time of the year.

Edit: The same thing happens to Crassulas of the "Money Plant' type or any succulents which have thick juicy leaves.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

cactusrogerUK wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:34 pm Good evening gentlemen.

............... If they are left outside during a hailstorm the whole lot will end up covered with little pockmark scars which spoil the beautiful rosettes for the rest of the season. .................
Thanks for the tip - will seek out a more appropriate shelter than the one I had in mind
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.