How to flower :Gasteria bicolor

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

How to flower :Gasteria bicolor

Post by MalcolmP2 »

Not sure if I should post this in general succulents or over in the learned HaworthiaSoc. section :) Mods please move if needed.

As you may have seen elsewhere,
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=168195
I am reliably informed that our plant of nearly 40y is a G. bicolor.
It has never flowered. One wonders what it is thinking of its keepers ! If only they could talk and tell us what they need, rather than having to listen to (some of) us that talk to them.

Seems we are not alone, Rod also has this problem !

That is all a long-winded way of imploring you all to share your secret cultivation tips and tell me what I should do next for its happiness :)
It has had about three small waterings during the winter and recently, about two weeks ago, with 1/2 strength tomato fert. ( I dont think I have ever given it that before)

Edit later, PS, all its life it has had tap water, for a long time this was very hard (about 300 to 400 (depending on bore hole extraction proportion ) ppm bicarbonate, 50ppm (thereabouts) sulphate) A few years ago the water co. introduced exchange softening so now some of that is sodium equivalent. I think now I will give it rain water ?
Terry S.

Re: How to flower :Gasteria bicolor

Post by Terry S. »

Apart from G. batesiana and a couple of large species from KwaZulu-Natal, all of the gasterias hail from the Mediterranean climate area of South Africa. So I wonder if you have been keeping your plant too dry during the cooler months of the year when it should have been growing?
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

I have quite a lot of Gasterias, some flower regularly. My regime, is to keep them dry and cool over winter. Water them from spring onwards, using the good soak and drying out completely method, and feed occasionally. I tend to leave them in the greenhouse and in a fairly sunny place, so that they have some sun during the day.
Gasteria batesiana
Gasteria batesiana
IMG_4022.1.jpg[/attachment [attachment=0]IMG_4272.1.jpg
Attachments
Gasteria baylissiana
Gasteria baylissiana
Gasteria carinata.
Gasteria carinata.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Lovely flowers, Liz. The batesiana does not look quite right though - it should have flowers like this (part of the true Longiflorae section). Yours looks like a 'repeat' of your third picture (carinata).

batesiana.jpg
batesiana.jpg (182.41 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
...and, for Malcolm this is what Gasteria bicolor flowers look like (in habitat):

Picture1.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Is it only me who removes them as soon as the peduncle's tough enough to pull out without snapping? :oops:
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Phil_SK wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:03 pm Is it only me who removes them as soon as the peduncle's tough enough to pull out without snapping? :oops:
:lol: :lol:
Haworthias - yes, do it, unless you want to X-pollinate.
Gasterias - no, much prettier and more varied!
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member

Post by MalcolmP2 »

Is someone pulling my peduncle ? :wink:
:mrgreen:

Thanks for all your thoughts, I'll try to do better this year and next winter.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Gasteria glomerata in flower today.
Gasteria glomerata flowers 9 May 2019.JPG
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

To return to the original question, some plants of Gasteria have been circulating in cultivation for well over two centuries. It is the ones that off-set freely that get passed around most widely and it appears as if such clones loose the will to flower, no matter how they are treated.

You could try growing a specimen as a single larger plant, cutting off any offsets as they form. Maybe that will push it into flowering.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member

Post by MalcolmP2 »

Apicra wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:28 pm try growing a specimen as a single larger plant, cutting off any offsets as they form. Maybe that will push it into flowering.
Thanks Derek, yes, this was one of those 'passed around' type plants from about 30/35y ago kept 'in memoriam'.

Good idea, I like it.
In fact I have already prepared a single offset, see a previous topic in which I was asking for an ID :-
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=168195

So, I will do with the new baby as you suggest, but it will have to hurry up a bit ! :lol: