Adding charcoal to mix

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
RogerF
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Adding charcoal to mix

Post by RogerF »

Forget the last bit, I just clicked the link and read it .......good grief, who's got time for all that?!
It would be interesting (In a disbelieving way) to know the plants each mix was tailored for.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

RogerF wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:32 pm Forget the last bit, I just clicked the link and read it .......good grief, who's got time for all that?!
It would be interesting (In a disbelieving way) to know the plants each mix was tailored for.
Hi Roger,

"infamous" for, to me, it does not represent best practice. Whilst there has been much discussion on the Forum over recent months and years regarding choices of compost, the most telling remarks are eg from the likes of Terry Smale I think, keep it simple, if it works for you keep using it, well-drained is what matters most.

Years ago, when much of my collection was just mammillarias, my compost mix was just JI No. 3 and horticultural grit (typically 2:1). If I knew the plant in hand was particularly 'touchy' then I would just add extra grit for that specimen. I still use this mix today for most of my plants whether mamms, gasterias or adromischus.

But getting back to your question re. Marsden's 25 forumulations (edit: sic! formulations):
In his Mammillaria book, he recommends which compost mix to use for each of the mamms he describes!!!!
eg Mammillaria candida - compost No. 13, Mammillaria wildii Compost No. 6.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

For a newbie (& oldies) it's reassuring to read "keep it simple".
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

To be fair, Marsden does describe these as formulae for advanced growers.

On the other hand he does recommend a simple general compost for a beginner. 2 parts loam, 1 leafmould (many of us will remember trips to woodland etc to gather well-rotted leafmould!) and 1 part sharp sand. Plus a 1/2 part limestone chips and 1/2 part charcoal.

Well-rotted manure and an extra part of leafmould, limestone absent, is recommended for epiphytes.

For anyone wanting to replicate these mixes Borg, in his (earlier) Cacti gives instructions on how to prepare cow manure over two or three years, and similarly detailed instructions for the differing requirements of the various cactus genera. Chemical fertilisers are frowned on.

For instruction on acquiring the best loam, we must turn to Buxbaum (Cactus Culture based on Biology), who reveals the secret of taking it from (fresh) molehills. And if you want instruction on chemical elements, he's your man. And for seed-raising, he recommends forays to your local brick yard to collect brick dust (breaking up bricks is far too tiresome, in his estimation).

Yes, things have changed.

I have no personally no best answer re compost. The difficulty of obtaining good loam (as JI component) has been too great for years, plus it's hard, too, to locate a good compost grit. Modern ingredients such as Perlite or Vermiculite ease weight stress on benches, but the main problem for me is the ethical one, to use a preferred peat-based compost mixes or not, especially for seed-raising. And of course even a "genuine" JI formula includes peat.

As for charcoal, I have no comment except to say I remember my old science master at school causing class amusement recommending taking a lump of charcoal to aid wind problems. In humans, that is, not plants.....
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

You can actually buy sterilized screened loam (Kettering or Mendip) that is produced to very narrow specifications for use on cricket pitches; just Google "cricket loam". It is not cheap and I have not tried it because I am happy with the Clover JI that I currently use.
ragamala
BCSS Member

Post by ragamala »

Terry S. wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:17 am I am happy with the Clover JI that I currently use.
Thanks for the recommendation Terry. I had also seen topsy recommending Clover, but my impression was she was talking about the peat-based version. (Said to be similar to Erin).

Is there peat included in the Clover JI?
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Yes, the Clover JI has peat as the organic component as in the original JI recipe. Much better than the likes of composted garden waste that finds its way into some brands. Topsy starting using it because I gave her some bags as a birthday present. Flowers would have been more romantic but potting compost is more useful!
ragamala
BCSS Member

Post by ragamala »

Terry S. wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:52 am Yes, the Clover JI has peat as the organic component as in the original JI recipe. Much better than the likes of composted garden waste that finds its way into some brands.
Thanks Terry. So it seems hanged if you do, shot if you don't, re peat.I have been trying to track down a source of the JI. (Incidentally one said the peat content was not from an SSSI - which I should sincerely hope not but which doesn't solve the ethical dilemma.) Unfortunately the JI is not at all easy to find (although the peat-based version is readily available) for delivery except at extortionate prices, so I may have to let that pass, and rethink. I know previously you said you had switched from Westland as you weren't 100% happy with that, which of course is readily available. I looked up the cricket loam as you suggested, thanks, again same problem re delivery expense... Maybe I should find out how to attract moles to my lawns.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

My Clover JI comes from the local allotment society. Topsy buys it in by the pallet so that Brighton Branch members can get their hands on it as a reasonable price, your local branch might consider doing the same.

My local Alpine Group members buy in pallets of Keith Singleton JI which also has a good reputation and is based in Cumbria. It seems to be the smaller producers who make a better product.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

ragamala wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:02 am
Terry S. wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:52 am Yes, the Clover JI has peat as the organic component as in the original JI recipe. Much better than the likes of composted garden waste that finds its way into some brands.
... Maybe I should find out how to attract moles to my lawns.
I will ask my daughter - she catches them (and other "not required" critters) for a living!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.